where to go on Long Island??

Eycee1

Ok so I have been itchintg to go goose hunting since the season opened.....this is to be my first time hunting waterfowl, figured I should take advantage of living in suffolk and extend my hunting season to more then squirrel and deer upstate like usual.

I've never hunted long island so my question is do I have to jump through hoops here or can I just go to a listed preserve walk in set up and shoot geese or do I have to check in and all that red tape stuff??? And will the area be packed with 100 people like everywhere else on long island??

I'm used to upstate just parking the truck, walking in and hunting and being the only one in the woods.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....I've already wasted a week of this goose season and need to get things rolling. Also if anyone would be willing to show me the deal I'd be grateful. My buddy who was suppose to be taking me out on the island is too busy to get out and hunt yet so I have to take matters into my own hands.

Sorry for the long winded post.....thanks in advance!

you will probably need an access permit:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_pdf/newaccessprmt.pdf

Ive been trying to find a spot out in Suffolk to hunt but find myself limited because im not a resident but if you are then:

http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Parks/RecreationalActivities/Hunting.aspx

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6072.html

map at the bottom of page:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/40399.html

vince what's up brother! We are starting up this hunting club I met up with eycee1 yesterday the guys cool as hell.  We are going to try and slam some waterfowl this season if you want to team up give me a call 516 356 4136 we can get the ball rolling and get another guy in the club! Love the new profile pic eycee1 time to GETTT SSOOMMEEE!!!!

Hey guys I am a newbie to waterfowl a few years now I hunt out of a boat in the li sound and bays in western nassau but would love to get together with u guys and do some field goose hunting I have family that live out in e. Hampton and were trying to get some land usage permission

Haha thanks aaron I got tired of the silhouette. Nasone if you can provide some insight on hunting geese/duck it'd be greatly appreciated. We're looking to hunt over water and if we can get feild access that'd be great also. Wheres some good spots on the island??

Ive been duck hunting for a about a decade on the south shore. Im going to be honest with you guys. Goose hunting in the great south bay sucks, the duck hunting is actually pretty bad also until late december.

If you want to Goose Hunt you need to go out east with an outfitter and hunt the corn fields that they have worked for you.

Now im sure theres some guy on here that knocks em down in september and early october, and if thats you I'm very happy for you but the reality is its just not like it used to be around here. It is deffinetly on the rise but you need to wait until it gets much colder before you can start shooting up a storm. 

done and done I all ready tried some goose hunting they decided to stay out of range and then my dog hot injured had to take him to the vet. he's doing better now just waiting for sea-ducks to open now 

I figured you've done it enough to know.........I haven't been duck hunting in years, do you need last year's stamp to hunt the early season? don't remember from what dates they're valid from.

The federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp expires in June, so each fall you need a new duck stamp. They are doing some complicated internet purchasing system that might change it once implemented, but for now, it expires in June.

As for the choke, if you cant find a manufacture's find out what "after market" chokes are compatible with your gun. You can call Mossberg or the choke companies themselves. Or its probably online as well. After market chokes are not necessarily easier to find than manufactures. Make sure its steel- proof as you know, don't assume it is.