2013 HNY Bow Hunting Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

I shot this guy on 10/12. My goal this year was to shoot a mounter, but I am not too proud and still too young with not many bow bucks under my belt to pass a nice tweener. When I first got in the stand at dark I heard some movement NE of me. Nothing showed. A few hours later I was sitting in my stand when I heard a crunch behind me. I turn to see squirrels. Figures. I hear it again and check again to see him walking down the row of pines I'm hunting in and headed north towards me. He's still out there, but will eventually be a 10 yard broadside if he keeps coming. And what's this? A big body behind him. The 8 stops, slowly backs up and heads east and I never see the other deer.

I can sort of make him out but he's about 60 yards through some very thick brush. I grunt a few times and nothing. 5 minutes go by and he starts walking down a parallel run headed north, but this time to my east. Alright i think, second chance. He stays off the run at about 30 and behind a log. I have a narrow spine shot and decide not to take it. He stands there looking NE for what seems like forever. Then he wheezes. Are you serious? I've never seen this in the wild. He makes his way into some brush and out of site. A minute goes by and I hear sparing! Are you serious? Another first for me.

5 minutes go by and I see movement. Now a deer is headed west (basically making a full circle around my stand) but still too far out and in some brush. I see 2, then 3 deer. A forked spike comes in front of me headed west. Broadside 15 yards. No thanks. Then comes a 6 who I'm assuming was bedded down from this morning and also the 8's  sparing partner. I see the 8 working a scrape behind him and decide to wait. Well doesn't the 8 take the same run in front of me but then go behind a pine a few yards north. He takes one step out at 22 and I draw, pic a window that in hindsight might have been a risk given some pine twigs and let it fly. He went about 60 yards. Single lung and liver. 10 minutes later comes another 6 from the SE headed NW. Then a doe. and when my dad comes in from his stand to help me drag out comes a huge 6 from the south. very thick beam. I believe he was with the 8 and the body I saw previous and just veered off because he came from that direction. Needless to say I would have been happy with the hunt even without the deer. Some of the best action I've ever had pre-rut. I'll update this later with some trail cam pics.

007_zps9ba51b88.jpg

016_zpse20b255f.jpg

a rage entrance wound! I think he weighed around 145lb.

Water07w010_zps1a1b20a6.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Got my first ever NY late bow season harvest this pm, passed the same pair of does yesterday with the ML and decided to bring the bow out for the rest of the season and take anything but a yearling buck.

Slightly quartering toward, called her into my lanes with a doe grunt and contact call after her partner had kicked her away from some browse.

Passed thru long ribs on both sides but still exited back far enough to blow the liver in half...she trotted 30 yds and wobbled-over.

5 harvests with my new pse bow madness xs and rage 2 blades this season, including a mature 8 pt, love it!

This was a cool way to end the NY season, having harvested deer in the Early, Regular and Late Seasons and tagging out.

post-1622-13871631348118_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1