Back to hunting after 15 years.

Crack Efron

Hello,

I'm James and I currently live in NYC. Last time I went hunting was with my grandfather back in Russia when I was somewhere around 8-10 years old, we went hunting for small game mostly (rabbits, ducks etc. but occasionally did a bear hunt too. It's one of the very few things I miss from Russia and I think it's time I get into it again, the nature is calling..

Now since I was still a little kid when I went hunting, all I really knew was how to shoot and nothing about tracking, gear, food or whatever else it is that a hunter should know. I'm basically below the amateur level when it comes to hunting.

I'll try to read this forum and browse online to try and get the answers to my questions before I start bugging everyone but if any of you have suggestions on where to begin, some links/books etc. I'd really appreciate it. As far as permits go and all that, I think I can figure it out on my own.

I'm planning to hunt by Albany for whatever type of game possible but deer would be preferred. The rifle I will use is Remington 700 in .308, slightly customized.

Please let me know what I should know before I get into hunting.

Thanks!

Read, a lot of good info online and on this very site. You must take a hunters safety course and get your hunting license. Perhaps join a sportsman or hunting club. If you have land to hunt find other hunters and learn from them. Just keep asking questions on this very site, we have some very helpful folks here. You can also watch hunting shows on the Outdoor Network and on You Tube.

In NY the preferred big game is whitetail deer. Good luck Comrade.

• Like 1

If you plan on deer hunting Albany you better invest in a shotgun, no rifles in Albany county for big game.

Is autoloading OK? I'm planning on getting a Remington 1100 and a Benelli M4 this year. Still have to double check if Benelli is legal here, seems like it is after SAFE act but better make sure.

Benelli M4 will depend on the options.  Needs to hold 5 rounds or less, no flash suppressor or muzzle brake.

Check your gun's configuration and compare it to the NY safe act regulations.

Go to the DEC website to look for listing of state lands that allow hunting.

You can go to Tuxedo, NY (Orange County) to hunt in Sterling Forest after applying for and getting a permit to hunt there.

Opening weekend for deer is closed to anyone applying at this point  - I waited 2 days to long to get a permit valid for opening weekend of gun deer season. That is about 1 hour from NYC.

There is also Stewart State Forest near Newburgh (shotgun and bow only).

If you get a 3P doe permit, you can apply for a permit for hunting in some zones in WestPoint (the Military Academy for the Army).  Must harvest a doe first.

In Putnam County you can try Canberry Mountain, The Great Swamp, or Bog Brook.

If you have the equipment to camp you could also go to the Catskills or rent a room somewhere to give that a try - about 2 hours from NYC.

NY is a single projectile state when it comes to deer, so for shotgun it is slugs only.  If you have a shotgun with a slug barrel (rifled shotgun barrel), then you can use a Sabot round - gives you more range.

• Like 2

Your shotgun must have a plug that limits it to 3 rounds when hunting waterfowl. The plug is not required for any other game.

West Point is for active military personnel a only and their immediate family only if they are accompanied by their military kin. I haven't been there in a couple of years so I don't know of they've change the restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1