First time flyer

Hello fellow outdoorsmen, I am going on a hunting trip to Wisconsin this November and need to bring my rifle on the plane. So I need to buy a heavy duty case with lots of locks so I can be sure no numbskull can break Into it as well as be able to be thrown around without the gun sliding around in the case I've looked at a few cases and am expecting to pay somewhere around $300 for a high quality case. Any and all advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Pelican. I have a bunch of aluminum cases and they've done well; but I'd buy a Pelican if doing it all over again. JMO. Only metal case I like now is one that hides a takedown gun in the bottom of a drop duffle and my ammo box that can be checked seperate if needed.

You'll use your own non TSA locks on the case; you're to have they only access to contents.

Ammo depends on airline.....some allow it in the case (most domestic carriers) other want it in a a different bag (sometimes that can be in with other luggage and sometimes in its own checked container but that tends to be international/other countries).

Print the airlines rules out and have them with you; sometimes check in personnel don't always know what to do or whats allowed.

Airport TSA or security will come over at check in and you'll show the gun is empty and sign a slip that says so.....at the NYC airports Port Authority AND TSA will check. You'll claim the case at oversized or office near the regular luggage belts on destination.

• Like 1

Pelican. I have a bunch of aluminum cases and they've done well; but I'd buy a Pelican if doing it all over again. JMO. Only metal case I like now is one that hides a takedown gun in the bottom of a drop duffle and my ammo box that can be checked seperate if needed.

You'll use your own non TSA locks on the case; you're to have they only access to contents.

Ammo depends on airline.....some allow it in the case (most domestic carriers) other want it in a a different bag (sometimes that can be in with other luggage and sometimes in its own checked container but that tends to be international/other countries).

Print the airlines rules out and have them with you; sometimes check in personnel don't always know what to do or whats allowed.

Airport TSA or security will come over at check in and you'll show the gun is empty and sign a slip that says so.....at the NYC airports Port Authority AND TSA will check. You'll claim the case at oversized or office near the regular luggage belts on destination.

This Dinsdale fella knows of what he speaks.

Great info! thank you. I've been looking at some of the pelicans brand they look really tough. So here's another option I've been contemplating does anyone have experience shipping firearms I briefly looked into fed ex ups and usps it looks like you just have to get it shipped to a licensed dealer or collector. What's your thoughts on this?

MoneyPit, on 07 Oct 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:MoneyPit, on 07 Oct 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Great info! thank you. I've been looking at some of the pelicans brand they look really tough. So here's another option I've been contemplating does anyone have experience shipping firearms I briefly looked into fed ex ups and usps it looks like you just have to get it shipped to a licensed dealer or collector. What's your thoughts on this?

You can ship it right to yourself if its a long gun......don't need an FFL involved and I would suggest US Postal Service.

Address the box to yourself and "in care of" XXXXXXXX and your all set.

I've done the opposite and shipped my gear, and just had the gun and carry on. But with tracking being so easy now, you'd be sure that the gun made it. Technically the person on the recieving end is not supposed to open the box; just sayin'.

Edited by Dinsdale

MoneyPit, on 07 Oct 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Which way in your experience is the cheaper route? also I would imagine If I do end up shipping it I would still want it in that pelican case you recommended, right?

Gear is cheaper to ship; you can compress a whole bunch in a cardboard box.......your always stuck with the gun case size and around 20 something pounds empty.

I've shipped stuff home in exchange for a cooler so I can bring home meat on the plane (frozen solid as per airline rules).