Rattling...

growalot

I rattled in two small 8 pts today-one right after sunrise (he just appeared in front of me)-never heard him coming..and another small 8pt at 7:45 am..a couple soft to med, grunts and then hit the rattle bag for a little bit--they are curios and they come in..also rattled a small 6 pt a couple days ago in the evening when it was real windy out--I was hunting hot scrapes and rubs at the time and hunting oak flat this morning..pretty exciting..all deer stayed out 40-50 yards.

I've only had it pull in young bucks and various doe.  that's around here.  elsewhere in the county is a different story.  not sure if it has to do with buck to doe ratio or not.  never seen an all out war of antlers here in ny... only early season sparring with 1.5 - 2.5 year old bucks.

I usually don't try it until the last week of October.  I have had it work and backfire.  I tend to do it when I see a buck a distance and he is not headed my way... this works for me I would say 40% of the time.  Do it when they are too close and it backfires 100% on me. 

I prefer the grunt tube for with in 75 yards.

I agree deer will usually come within 50 feet and stop when it comes to rattling.  They wont go head first into a fight unless they check it out first.  Most of the time they will see you before you see them so pay attention.  So far the rut is nowhere to be found. Minor scrapes and rubs.  Even trails seem meek at best.  Weather is getting colder I am going to but the ole rattlers down until later in the season when the hormones kick in!