Least hunted public land in Dutchess county

BuckNY85

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering out of everyone's own experiences and personal opinions, which are the least deer hunted public lands in Dutchess county? And if they are all hit pretty hard, which areas of those lands no body really ventures too?

Thanks

Edited by Region3NA85

I'm actively trying to find some private and work out an agreement with the owner for next year but I'm not holding out much faith that it'll happen.   

Every time I've surveyed the open land locally there have been a lot of vehicles parked at the access locations and I just refuse to put myself in harms way in that kind of environment.  I haven't been to Fahnestock or Taconic areas for a long time for those reasons.  Things may have improved but I doubt it.

Fahnestock also requires a special permit (200 max the last knew) and they have to be long gone for this year.

I don't know if it will help you but I have a package of "apps" from the DEC that are Google Earth based that you can download and unzip and use.  One of them is a DEC Land app which shows you the land and description of all DEC areas in New York State.   There's a post on the site somewhere on it but it's probably buried 40 pages down. ;-)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u3wonaiqq636x13/DEC+Google+Earth+Apps.zip

Edited by SteveC

I've found some public hunting land in Duchess that is somewhat less crowed by finding the steepest hardest to climb hills or thickest and wettest swamps.  However the best bet is to hunt bow season or the 2nd week of gun season.  Most of the Orangemen don’t hunt after the 1st weekend.  but by then the deer are hold up in remote hard to get to places If they survived the annual march of the pumpkins

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BuckSteady
      New hunter to NY here. Found some public land to hunt, it’s a WMA. I wish I read the regs more thoroughly because I threw up a ladder stand yesterday and today when I was re-reading them, I saw you can’t put temporary stands on WMAs, only on state forests and other such state land. I honestly didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to, I even put my name and license # on the stand. I was going to go take it down tomorrow but it’s an hour drive so I wanted to ask, what do DEC officers do if they find a ladderstand like mine on a WMA? Is this an automatic fine or whatever? Will they just call me and tell me to come get it? Confiscate? How often do officers go through areas like WMAs and check for stands? Any info would be helpful. I’ll still probably go take it down tomorrow, although I have seen other stands up on the WMA, I just prefer to stay on the right side of the law myself. Thanks!
    • By Jcurtis
      Anyone ever hunt taconic Hereford? Was in there this weekend and it has a good amount of deer sign but nit sure if there will be to much activity during bow and then rifle season. 
    • By mre_90
      I'd like to introduce myself to the forum, I hunt mostly in the Catskills around West Shokan and Woodstock also spend some time in Dutchess County as well around Red Hook/Rhinebeck area. With deer season pretty much done I was looking for anyone who would want to go rabbit or small game hunting. I have been trying to find some spots but am definitely open to suggestions as I haven't come across anyplace with a lot of activity, could be the weather. I don't have my dog trained yet and do most of my small game hunting with a .22. If anyone is interested let me know. Thanks.
    • By Jvilla
      Good morning - 
      I am trying to find spots, (where its legal, not legal, and feasible) to launch a kayak and hunt the north shore.  I am close to Huntington, and found out that they have a no discharge firearm policy)  Does anyone know areas that are legal.  I am not asking for specific 'honey hole' spots.(but I'd take if anyone wants to share!), rather looking for some areas to scout, that are legal.  As always, thanks for the Help. 

Ps - if anyone on the island has goose/duck decoys that they would like to sell, PM me.  Id gladly take a look!

Have a great day and Thanks,

John
    • By OptimO
      Last archery season we tried something different, we hunted on public land for the first time and it paid off.

Deer Hunting Video>>  https://youtu.be/eceVxmVZ3TM