when to shoot when to let him pass?

aqua750

I feel like a jerk posting this BUT  what the hell I hunt in 3k and it has always produced some average to really nice bucks and on several occasions Ive seen some monsters on my property.For some reason I don't have a good feeling this year,I havent seen a deer I a good month no rubs ,no scrapes but my trail cams are showing me a decent 6 (cant see if he has brows) and a few pics of several mystery bucks my buddies think we are looking at 3or 4 different bucks So im wondering If I should pass on the 6/8 and hunt hard on my limited amount of land and hope for the best ?? In past years I have not shot the first buck going by. every year my property has paid off for one of the crew but this year im hunting by myself and I dont have a good feeling. I have in the past let some good shooters go by and never seen another especially since the greedy sob`s changed the Monday opener what do you guys think??

If you haven't seen a deer in a good month then I'd hate to witness a bad month in your deer-less area.

No but seriously, only you can determine what deer will give you satisfaction. By the sounds of it, you should be bringing in 4-5 buddies to do some doe management.

Make a personal goal and try to stick to it.

If you need to harvest a deer for meat, take the first legal one that provides a good opportunity.

If you want to protect yearlings don't shoot any yearlings.

If you want to protect 2 year olds don't shoot any of those either.

Finally if you are hunting a small piece of land then letting one walk doesn't mean it's not going to get shot on a neighboring property.

Edited by Meat Manager

I feel like a jerk posting this BUT  what the hell I hunt in 3k and it has always produced some average to really nice bucks and on several occasions Ive seen some monsters on my property.For some reason I don't have a good feeling this year,I havent seen a deer I a good month no rubs ,no scrapes but my trail cams are showing me a decent 6 (cant see if he has brows) and a few pics of several mystery bucks my buddies think we are looking at 3or 4 different bucks So im wondering If I should pass on the 6/8 and hunt hard on my limited amount of land and hope for the best ?? In past years I have not shot the first buck going by. every year my property has paid off for one of the crew but this year im hunting by myself and I dont have a good feeling. I have in the past let some good shooters go by and never seen another especially since the greedy sob`s changed the Monday opener what do you guys think??

It sounds like I should be writing this thread. I'm in the same boat, but in 9K. Have you seen does or no deer period  . I went from Oct. 16 to nov. 7 with out seeing a deer , buck or doe. Loads of pictures on my cams , but no day movement.

unfortunatly  most of my old hunting buddies have gone to the happy hunting ground and the one or two left have turned in to total idiots  whose company I dont care for! Im hoping to maybe meeting someone on on this site to partner up with in the future