Migration

mike rossi

The majority of the wood ducks came and went weeks ago, and any year-round birds are locked out of most of the beaver impoundments and are on rivers and streams... Woodcock flights have been here a while and are still here along with resident birds. Huge flocks of doves are flying in as quick as other flocks are leaving and the year round birds are here as always. The second split of the PA season is going with lots of birds and little competition for them...

The Canada Goose molt migrations of unpaired or birds not tied to a nest/clutch in late summer; which are confused with actual migration  have long ceased. A slight cold snap this week got the year round birds to settle into a fall pattern and are feeding longer rather than flying around to loaf on sand bars or ponds after feeding. Since they are moving less, the hunting is harder. Once the migrant birds start moving, that wont be a problem, the northerners might even follow the residents somewhat. Have not seen snow geese yet either.

But you guys on the great lakes and Long Island might have an alternative to the crowded woods this weekend. There has been a North West or at least a west wind for the past ten days and temps hit freezing. Most of the diver species are "calendar migrators". A certain time of year, like November, they start to get restless but procrastinate migration. By theory, a northwest wind cures the procrastination and they get flapping. If they settle in Henderson cove for example, and then temps moderate, rather than bottom out, as is the forecast, those birds might stay a while. Waterfowl hunting pressure in NY is relatively light and during southern zone opening week it can be even lighter...

What about the "freeze migrators" the mallards and canadas? Off course a few resident birds are always here, but  most of the migrants aren't here yet. Unlike calender  migrators, they aren't on a schedule, but move when snow and ice shut off their roost sites and food. The conditions have not been harsh enough in most areas north of the border above NY (the Atlantic Flyway) to get them going , although the Mississippi and central  Flyways are reporting movement. 

Wind from the northwest followed by snow and cold from the same area would bring a push of calendar migrators followed by a push of freeze migrators. Not this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if some areas see an influx  of redheads, canvasbacks, and scaups. Be interesting to hear from some of you guys on LI about what is out there last week and this week...

Edited by mike rossi

It got cold, then warmed up a lot.. 60's today and tomorrow.

I'm behind in my scouting for waterfowl, but have noticed some migraters.

As I recall, I saw my first brant this year on Oct. 5th. I've been seeing quite a few now, and today, I saw a sh#$@# load of them in the bay. More than I have seen in the past few weeks. Too bad that they taste awful.

Canadas are flying over my house more, I heard some last night.

Sea ducks are in the ocean and I hear the guys shooting while I surf fish,. There are lots of them now.( I found a dead scoter drake today on the beach).

Rudy ducks and blacks were in the bass fishin' pond a couple of weeks ago. I saw a pair of woodies too. I will check the pond out later in the week to see if more arrived.

I am not seeing any divers in some of the spots that should have them, but I haven't scouted enough to say if they are around in other spots.  Maybe they'll show up more now... I had a little problem so I haven't been in my kayak which is where I would give me a better idea of what's around.

Our season opens the end of November, so I haven't seen any of the duck hunter to ask what they are seeing.

I never see canvasbacks, or redheads in the areas where I hunt, but do see loads of scaup. I just haven't seen the scaup yet, but that might be because I'm not lookin' hard enough. I did look in the great south bay today,because of your question, but didn't see any.

Not sure how useful and/or reliable the DU migration maps are, but hunters have been reporting birds staging north of the border in Ontario. Heard about all birds, but the most reported are bills, buffleheads, and honkers. A guy or two reported snows up there too.

I been seeing about the same as others around me - lots of local honkers and a few local ducks. Seems to be more honkers, not just resident birds, but if so I have no idea when they got here. I think its just local birds congregating, but who knows.

Forecast is for a northwest wind and cold, so maybe things will pick up this coming week, that's if the birds read the magazine articles off course...

• 4 weeks later...

I know the guys on LI are into birds now and probably will be the rest of the season. Upstate had some interesting weather. About a week ago it started to get cold and birds were locked out of shallow water areas, so they moved onto open water. About 3 days ago, before more cold and snow, there were fresh birds around, but that only lasted a couple days because even rivers and lakes froze and fields got several inches of snow. Even the resident birds, including geese took off, not surprising, the name resident geese or ducks or doves is a little misleading, they are actually part of what is known as the resident mid-latitude birds, they actually do migrate some. It may be more like shifting around compared to birds that go a thousand miles, but they make trips of 150 miles or so.

It is going to thaw the next few days. Studies have shown that birds can sense the thaw and use south winds same as they use north winds to migrate. They know a thaw will create backwater and flooded fields. They likely have those favorable conditions south, but the goal isn't to stay south, its to stay as close to their breeding areas as possible - they know they must return and they know the sooner they do the less likely they will loose their territory to a competing pair of birds. Same with the resident /local birds. The upcoming thaw might bring birds again. It will be a different ball game though, last week birds were concentrated in remaining open water, at least the last part of the week. But this next wave, if it happens , will be the reverse, the birds are here for flood water and will be spread out. Any remaining northern birds flying south will feel that south wind and might stop because of the resistance and because it tells them it is warm - if they see open water they might drop. Fresh doves around too. Dove season in PA reopens after Christmas and the birds blown down last week didn't seem to leave with the waterfowl.

So the next few days might see some birds again. If anything there will be some mergansers to pass shoot in necked  - down portions of rivers. I wouldn't try that now, too much ice and current and cold for dogs.