Does anyone go through this

Dave

I love shooting does. It is very good practice to be able to work on your form and shot placement with a real target, a lot different than shooting arrows all day into a foam one. I try to shoot the does that have button buck fawns. I have no idea the truth behind this theory but I believe that the button buck will stay around where it is familiar with the territory. And because its mom is dead the button buck can't get run off from its mom.

Well, you know that we spend a lot of money on the department that supposedly manages our wildlife (Let's not get into a discussion about how well they do that .....lol). They have determined that we need to regulate the populations of deer and that controlling the numbers of females is the most effective way to do that. The antlerless permit is the way that is best done. It is our part as hunters to participate in that thinning of doe numbers. So generally, that's what I do.

That's not to say that I always agree with their assessment of the herd size. And when I don't, I have been known to not shoot any does ..... That is a rare year when I make that choice.

• Like 1

There are a lot of emotions I go through when I shoot a deer especially when I shoot a doe. Monday of opening week I was walking to my stand and saw a doe ahead of me about 40 yards as I continued to walk the doe just kept feeding. I just got closer and closer till I was about 30 feet from that deer. I stopped and just looked at that deer who hadn't a care in the world. Then walked past the deer and to my stand and she continued to feed. I just couldn't shoot that deer, it didn't seem fair to me. It would have been more like an execution, no challange no fair play.  And many times it's the same when I see does not to say it always happens that way. Yes they have busted me many, many times those are the challanging ones. I just want to feel like I hunted for my deer not just killed it.

Edited by Dave
  • Like 2