My last day out

chiefbkt

Well today was my last day of deer hunting for the season and it turned out to be a pretty good one. Was skeptical about going out this morning but glad I did. I had the already made the decision in the preseason that i was only going to shoot a mature buck so this was my last day to do it. I got into stand at 5:45, wind was perfect, light snow, and temps were warmer than expected. Didn't take long after legal shooting light for the movement to begin. Started with 7 doe cruising through at a leisurely pace. All 7 presented me with a shot, but already have 4 in the freezer. About 8:30 I caught movement in the thicket. I grabbed the binocs and immediately spotted the big bodied deer. Couldn't tell what type of antlers he had but knew it was decent. I put the binocs down and got ready. He stepped out of the thicket and I knew what buck he was. A really nice 2 1/2 year old 8 point. This was the first time I'd seen this buck all year, and he looked nicer in person than on camera. He got within 15 yards of me before he decided to move out of the area. I watched him leave and thought I hope he does that next year. Sat till 10 and headed out. Wasn't the big mature shooter I was hoping for, but nice to know there will be at least one buck for next year, or maybe the year after.

• Like 1