Hunting small game and coyotes in 4J

4J hunter

. Just use turkey load for a coyote

and limit those shots to 35yds.

If you want a shotgun load that will reach further and penetrate the eastern coyotes fur you should look into #4buckshot or something in T or BB sized shot. Just don't get suckered into buying those Hevi-shot heavy duty loads that Dicks has been carrying, they are frangible and will just turn to dust if they hit skull or bone.

I've been trying out the Hornady Critical Defense #4buck. It patterns ok out of my full choke out to 50yds. They have the Versa-tite flight control wad which holds the shot together. They might be awesome in your gun if you're limited to Imp.Cyl. or modified chokes. If they can hold a pattern @ 60yds out of my Imp.Cyl. I'll stick with them, if not I'll probably be switching back to Federals.

I like to use a .22 magnum for coy dogs knocks em right down good for 125+ yards.

I use one as well and I feel confident in being able to make good shots, but I will be the first to admit that it is not gonna give consistent results especially when you start shooting over 100yds.

Oh you said coy dogs, that's the yuppy version of coyotes! lol

• Like 1

I would you'd b surprised what a .22 mag can do past a hundred yards shit at 200 yards its still traveling at over 1000fps with a 30 grain. In theory a coyote could b killed at 200 yards with it, with shot placment and with the will of god behind it lol.

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2

30gr is a relatively light load for yotes. I prefer 40gr. JHP's.

There's no doubt that a mag will kill a yote at further ranges, but are you going to find it? Headshot,probably. A bodyshot will most likely create for you an all day tracking job. Coyotes are incredibly tough and their fur soaks up blood like a sponge. Now couple that with an entry wound no bigger than a BIC pen(probably no exit hole) and the ability to cover ground very fast. You'd just better have snow to track it!

Knowing your guns' abilities is just a smart move and will probably save you from some heart/headaches. You can "poke & hope" if you choose to.

• Like 2

I have shot them in the body at 100-110 yards shattered the rib I hit and the copper jacket was inside the animal in 5 pieces it did walk 10 feet before it fell over, massive internal bleeding. I have a friend I go with he uses a 17 grain 17 hmr and kills them no problem. I preffer the 30 grain cause it has the velocity still past 100. It is better to hit them in the head but its not crucial.

I have shot them in the body at 100-110 yards shattered the rib I hit and the copper jacket was inside the animal in 5 pieces it did walk 10 feet before it fell over, massive internal bleeding. I have a friend I go with he uses a 17 grain 17 hmr and kills them no problem. I preffer the 30 grain cause it has the velocity still past 100. It is better to hit them in the head but its not crucial.

Have you shot a .22 mag at 200 yards? What were the groupings like?

If I can accurately throw a rock at a yote's head, I could kill one with that too.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Never done it might have to hit the range and give it a try! I do have a nikon buckmaster with BDC on my mag. I have run it out to 150 and done quarter sized groups with no wind. Past 100 yards wind really moves a 22 mag. And can make it a 2-3 inch group.

post-4882-13877588021209_thumb.jpg this is my mag its a savage model 93 bolt action. It has a fluted barrel and the acu trigger. The stock has been dipped in carbon fiber and clear coated. The barrel has been sand blasted and cerakoted. The only thing that isn't cerakoted is the bolt.

Never done it might have to hit the range and give it a try! I do have a nikon buckmaster with BDC on my mag. I have run it out to 150 and done quarter sized groups with no wind. Past 100 yards wind really moves a 22 mag. And can make it a 2-3 inch group. Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2

I imagine you may be disappointed in the 200+ results. The .22 mag just wasn't designed with that kind of range in mind, reliably.

I imagine you may be disappointed in the 200+ results. The .22 mag just wasn't designed with that kind of range in mind, reliably.

oh yeh I'm sure but I know it will go that far and still kill stuff. Like I said its still going over 1000fps at that range. I would like to try it for sure. but if I need to go farther I would use one of my AR-15's or my remington 700 in. 308. The range I shoot at only goes out to 400 yards, but just like the .22 mag I would like to see how far it goes reliably just like my. 308 which I know will exceed 400 by far. I can hit the steel plate with my 5.56 AR's at 400 all day long also which is its supposed effective range. But I do know my guns and love to max them out. I shoot thousands of rounds every year have 5 gallon buckets full of brass and shot shells. I shoot at thurstons shooting range in auburn ny. There is guys that shoot .50 cal's Out there and no there not muzzleloaders lol

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

Edited by breethwithme

oh yeh I'm sure but I know it will go that far and still kill stuff. Like I said its still going over 1000fps at that range. I would like to try it for sure. but if I need to go farther I would use one of my AR-15's or my remington 700 in. 308. The range I shoot at only goes out to 400 yards, but just like the .22 mag I would like to see how far it goes reliably just like my. 308 which I know will exceed 400 by far. I can hit the steel plate with my 5.56 AR's at 400 all day long also which is its supposed effective range. But I do know my guns and love to max them out. I shoot thousands of rounds every year have 5 gallon buckets full of brass and shot shells. I shoot at thurstons shooting range in auburn ny. There is guys that shoot .50 cal's Out there and no there not muzzleloaders lolwhen the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

It's awesome to hear that some take shooting and practice seriously. I could never get a gun I'm not comfortable shooting all day long. For every game animal I take, I've probably shot 30 rounds at the range for that one shot at game.

For a 200 yard Rimfire, I would have to recommend the .17 HMR or the .17 WSM.

My friend shoots a 17 hmr I've shot his gun its a great caliber. I just grew partial to the. 22 mag cause when I was a kid growing up in michigan I used to carry a revolver that shot. 22lr or mag by changing the cyl. And it was a great gun. I miss living in states where u don't need a permit to carry. My carrying weapon is a stoeger double barrel coach gun with 18 inch barrels lol. They make getting a pistol hard to get I carry a 12g haha.

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

I just finished putting a scope on the .17 hmr. Amazed at the accuracy!! Set up clay birds at 100 yds and shattered them every time. Fun little gun - bring on the yotes.

Clay birds are 4" or so, and I would probably say at 300 yards, it shouldn't be too difficult without wind.

Can you use a gun in the bow only area's?

Never had to consider it but now I am curious, 4J is bow only for deer.

It's only bow ONLY for deer.

Like I've said before, there's only 3 areas that I know of that limits the use of a rifle, and that's Westchester, NYC, and LI.

I put a 3-9 Bushnell on the 17. What In forgot to mention in my previous post for all you is that I was shooting 4" clay birds with my 11 yr old son at 100 yds so he could get instant feed back on each shot. I realize that a 4" clay bird is a very generous target. Merry Xmas!!