WTB Shotgun and Rifle

Written into the SAFE act under 'private sales', the FFL is not supposed to charge more than $10 for a private transfer. On dealer to dealer transfers they can charge whatever they want, and it's usually in the $25 to $35 range. They can also refuse to participate in the transfer/sale.

I haven't done a private sale under the new restrictions yet, but I'm guessing that a lot of FFL's won't want to bother with the paperwork for the 10 bucks. Maybe a $20 'tip' up front would help?

Seems to me like just another way to limit gun sales/transfers overall.

I believe the $10 was to perform the background check. The balance of the fees can be any amount for their other administrative fees. Wait until this same pricing is applied to the ammo sales.

• Like 1

Exactly. It isn't rocket science. Making it sound like a big hassle that is difficult to do doesn't help anyone.

No, not rocket science at all.  Its just that FFL's aren't too eager to do the deals and the fact that the buyer & seller need to meet at an FFL to do the deal makes it a substantial hassle to more than a few.

Edited by Lawdwaz

I did it a month or so ago. It took about 30 minutes at GM. I can see it being a pain in the a$$ if the buyer and seller live a good distance away from each other. Instead of meeting half way, to make the sale now you have to find an FFL thats not too much of a haul for either person. Unless one doesn't mind driving.