Reloading Basics

CFD914

Hey Everyone,

You all have been super helpful with caliber selection in a previous post that I had created. If possible could you help me steer in the direction of reloading. 

I feel I am still ways off from actually reloading by myself, however, this is something that I have an interest in, as centerfire ammo is costly per round.

I just purchased the ABC's of Reloading as well as the Lyman 49th Reloading Manual, and I have been looking at many posts in the reloading forum. However, I am curious are there any other suggestions in reading material that I should first  purchase to learn and read from? 

Also any suggestion in in supplies. Lee Kits v. RCBS or Hornady?

Thanks again!

If you have read all the stuff that you have already bought, you are probably well equipped to make good choices. Of course nothing can compare to knowing someone who already successfully reloads who is interested in helping you out. Many times you can read something that may not be written the clearest in the world and come away with some bogus conclusions. If you don't know someone that reloads already, It might actually be a good idea to be looking for a local gun club to join. Nothing can beat personal guidance in methods and procedures, and having someone to ask questions of as they come up.

• 3 months later...

Bump.

I was taught how to reload about 40 years ago by a master gunsmith. When I asked him how to get started he held up a reloading manual and said, "Go buy the book. And then go by the book." Words of wisdom that have stayed with me and that I've related to many newcomers over the years.

There's no black magic in hand-crafting ammo, and there's no need to be fearful. The most dangerous part of the process is usually seating the primers. Use the correct tool for the specific primer, clean the crud out of the primer pocket, wear safety glasses, and keep your face out of the way. No distractions when seating primers. None, nada zero! Not just for safety reasons, but for accuracy as well. Correctly and consistently seating primers is an art form in itself. And with light powder-loads that could potentially be double-thrown, visually inspect with a flashlight.

Keep good notes!!! Log everything that you do so that you can repeat the outcome. Or not repeat it, as the case may be. This is the biggest mistake I see among those getting started. Every round of ammo in a box should be identifiable to you. I use pieces of card stock glued inside the lids of my ammo boxes with a dab of hot-melt. Tells me what's what at a glance, and is referenced back to the log that stays in the shop if I want more specifics. When something works at the range, I have a really good idea of how to make it happen again.

I'll confess here that I've come to like loading as much as I do shooting. More often than not, I'll shoot just to see how my loading is doing rather than the other way around.

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1