New to hunting

Elmo

I wanted to start off small so I've been trying to bag squirrels but at this point, I am willing to go for any legal small game or upland birds that comes my way.  My plan was that once I felt I can succeed in hunting, I would invest more money and go into coyote hunting with a centerfire rifle.  My problem is that I head out into the woods for hours (walking around, sitting and waiting, etc) and have not come across a single game yet.  I went to West Point on Friday and Stewart State Forest on Saturday.  I did not see a single creature (except for some sparrows and woodpeckers).  I did see one doe in West Point and she just laughed at me before scurrying away.  It's like she knew I was carrying a shotgun loaded with #6 shot and I didn't have a doe permit.

Sometimes going out and not seeing anything is normal. PM me with your number and we will go out squirrel hunting by my. I live in dutchess county. There are lots of them here. I also coyote hunt as well. Let me know when the best to call is....Marty

Welcome aboard!  You've come to the right place to get started.  Take martin up on his offer if you want to hunt some squirrels.  Sounds like he has some around his hunting area.

Finding game is a lot like real estate.  Location, location, location.....

;)

Besides, hunting is also about making new friends.

I hunt several pieces of state land not far off the taconic parkway. If you have a new york city permit,there are several pieces of land we can hunt in putnam county. The tag is free and it takes a few weeks to get. We can hunt stewart after deer season for coyotes. Not sure on squirrels though. we can also hunt off pudding street. Its kinda far for dutchess for you to hunt unless we make a day and do some night hunting as well.. Let me know what you want to do and we can go from there.

I won't have the funds for a coyote rifle until at least after I recover from the holiday shopping.

If you apply for the NYC Watershed access permit online, apparently it gives it to you right away.  All you have to do is print it out.  I just got mine.  I can't go this weekend but let's shoot for something in Putnam county after that.

How's West Point?  I went there this past Friday but didn't see anything.  I got there late though.  Was only in the woods from 2PM to 4:30PM.  Only military personel can enter but they can bring guests.  My brother is still an active military personel.

Glad to see you got your new york city permit. Don't worry about having funds for coyote hunting. You can hunt them with a shot gun as well and I have calls and scents. I'm not interested in going to west point. Will not feel comfy,but I will look at places closer to you. Once deer season is over it makes it much easier to hunt. I'll start looking and get back to you..Later