Deerthug's 2014 Hunting Journal

Deerthug

Well done for the day heading back to LI. Very frustrating sitting for hours and not seeing much. Saw 2 fat does 300+ yards about 9:30. Too risky of a shot. So far tag soup is starting to simmer. Hoping to go up again on 12/6-7 probably my last opportunity to hunt this year.

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy 4

Hi Deerthug,

Another week in the books.  Had a rough Thanksgiving, lots of heavy wet snow and no electricity for 18 hours.  Got in several short sits this week, not much moving.  Best day was today when three does and a fawn came charging past me.  Short time later two uninvited guests come by.  Pretty well messed up the rest of the sit.  Got the two "guests" headed back in the right direction and sat till dark.  Nothing more.  Got one more day to hunt, that is tomorrow.  Family is coming up from LI Friday night so hunting is out until maybe last thing Sunday.  If you get up, I wish you the best of luck and it has been great chatting with you.  Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable holiday season.

Poppy

Hey Poppy,

Too bad on the ruined hunt. Planning on heading up Friday morning for a last weekend hunt for me this season. Hoping to connect at least with a doe to put meat in my freezer. Otherwise it's going to be a long winter without Venison.

It's been nice chatting with you too. If you see anything by you that you don't want to shoot send them down Route 6 toward me! Lol!

So far after sitting 50+hrs since October I've seen a total of 5 deer the last two were 2 weeks ago at 300+ yards. Today I sat from noon until dusk and was skunked once again. Tomorrow will be the last sit of the season until spring turkey. Perhaps we'll come up in January for some yote hunting -we shall see. If I do not connect tomorrow morning I'll be making tag soup.

Edited by Deerthug

Well my season is done. Although I did not harvest anything this year, I absolutely enjoyed being out there in the woods every chance I got. Good luck to the rest of you who are still at it. Anywho... I'm making tag soup tonight. Anyone care to join me?

Hi Thug,

Well I also went deer less as far as my buck goes.  Did get a small doe for camp meat.  Also had the unfortunate task of finishing off  beautiful 8 pointer with a 20" inside spread.  Another hunter had hit it and when I jumped him his intestines were dragging on the ground.  Never smelled anything so bad in my life.  I left it in the woods, but will go back at sometime to harvest the antlers.

As for your tag soup, I have a 4T doe tag and my buck tag to contribute.  I think it will add a little northern cuisine & taste to your soup.  As I said before it has been great chatting with you and I hope we can meet up some time in the future.  Happy Holidays to you and yours and just remember, most McDonalds are open late on weekends.

Poppy

• 2 weeks later...