Grunt calls and rattling

wolc123

It’s getting to be the time of year (pre-rut). When these techniques start to work pretty good. The most important lesson I have learned about them, the past 42 deer seasons, is that they SHOULD NOT be used with archery equipment.  The reason that is that only ALERT deer will respond.  An alert deer will always move 1-3 feet, between the time an arrow is released and the time it arrives.

I can personally attest to that from (3) shoulder blade hits and one gut hit.  I did not recover any of those deer.  Most likely, only the gut hit one succumbed to his wound.  I know for certain that one of the shoulder blade hits lived (3) more weeks because a friend killed it later with a gun and it was nearly healed up by then.  

That being said, even with  those lessons learned the hard way, I’m still going to start using a grunt call and rattle bag this Saturday.  That is opening day of gun season where I am at, and I’ll be armed with a 30/30 rifle. I might even use the grunt today or tomorrow, if I see a buck.  I’m armed with my ML, which also fires a supersonic bullet.  That means it will get to the deer before it hears the shot.  

Ive rattled in two during archery season (one wounded and one killed) and grunted in (3), which were all wounded.  Most were 2.5 year olds but the one that was later killed with a gun was 3.5.  I grunted in tge 2.5 year old buck that I killed, on sz opening day of gun, in 2020.  

That one walked by, thru some cover 20 yards away and I couldn’t tell for sure that he met my hardest criteria (sure 2.5 year old or older or minimum 3 points on a side).  When he disappeared, I grunted him back for a closer look.  He turned out to be a 6 pointer and I heart shot him at 25 yards with my 12 ga slug gun. 

So if you are looking to kill a 2.5 - 3.5 year old buck, a grunt call or rattling might help, just wait till you can use a gun if possible. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

I have done a lot of Varmint calling but have not tried grunts or rattling for Deer, I have had Deer come into Varmint calls out of curiosity more than anything else.

One Christmas I received a set of those Primos "The Can" Deer calls you tip from side to side, they sound like a lamb or a baby goat to me, never tried them, one of these days I will put one in my pocket and give it a try.

Al

Edited by airedale

On 10/19/2023 at 12:10 PM, airedale said:

I have done a lot of Varmint calling but have not tried grunts or rattling for Deer, I have had Deer come into Varmint calls out of curiosity more than anything else.

One Christmas I received a set of those Primos "The Can" Deer calls you tip from side to side, they sound like a lamb or a baby goat to me, never tried them, one of these days I will put one in my pocket and give it a try.

Al

I have used the can and it turned a 2.5  yr old around and he came running to 30 yards but didnt run much after that ;) 

• Like 1