Reloading the 6.5 Creedmoor

airedale

Got my feet wet last night doing up a couple of batches of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. I have the Superlite Howa sighted in with Hornady 143 gr precision Hunter ammo that I picked up when I got the rifle, the Howa groups it good enough for now and that is what I will use for hunting this season.

So what I decide to go with for handloads was the Sierra Game King 140gr SPBT bullet, have used Sierra bullets for over 50 years and when it comes to accuracy they are at the top of my list, they have always worked well on game also.

The second bullet I used was the same 123 gr Hornady SSTs  that I loaded in the 6.5 PRC.

For cases I went a little different from the norm for me, I purchased a couple of hundred Peterson match grade cases. These cases use small rifle primers, the long range target shooters make great claims for them with them having a bit more accuracy and consistency. Whether that is true or not I can't say but the reason I went with them is it is almost impossible to find large rifle primers and when you do they ask an arm and leg for them. Small rifle primers are found everywhere and are priced reasonable. I have to say these are the nicest made new cases I have ever seen.

Varget powder was my choice mainly because it has been giving real good overall results in the Creedmoor.

So when I get a chance I will see how my loads perform.

Al

2023-11-03_091414.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

As I get my feet wet more and more with the 264 calibers I find it is amazing  how 6.5 cal cartridges were obscure and an after thought not many years ago to the seemingly dominate mid-power chamberings of the day.

All firearms manufacturers chamber for them, ammo is available everywhere as are reloading components. I was checking out bullet selection and I found thirty different weights and styles from 90grs to 160grs and everything in between.

Got my hands on some nickel plated Starline Creedmoor brass and will be loading them up with the new Winchester 6.5 StaBall powder along with the German Ruag large rifle primers that Powder Valley had on sale, large rifle primers have been as scarce as Hen's teeth.  

I am liking what I have seen with the Creedmoor cartridge so far.

Al 

Edited by airedale

Finished up another batch of 6.5 Creedmoor, went with a light Barnes 100 gr, the relatively new Winchester StaBall powder, the German Ruag primers and the nickel plated Starline brass that Kemosabe would love. All first time use for these components so I have my fingers crossed. I now have a pretty good stash of 6.5 ammo with a variety of loads, looking forward to testing at the range.

Al

2024-01-10_090509.png