Chronographs

Knowing the exact speed a bullet leaves the barrel of a firearm will give the shooter-hunter the accurate information needed for sighting a firearm and it's bullet performance at different ranges, Chronographs provide that muzzle velocity information.

Until recently your typical chronograph would use two sensors that would be triggered by a bullet's flight shadow traveling over them, as the bullet travels over the first sensor a timing program starts and after passing over the second sensor it stops, the amount of time traveling between the two can then be calculated in feet per second. These type chronographs work well and for the most part very accurate.

Now on the scene are chronographs that operate with radar technology that work totally different. Placed slightly behind and along side the firearms barrel it will read the muzzle velocity with radar.

Garmin has come out with a real game changer in the chronograph world, small simple to use and very accurate and expensive. For serous handloaders this Garmin is the icing on the cake.

Al

============================================

Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph

Experience the perfect blend of technology and precision with the Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph. This highly advanced device pairs seamlessly with your smartphone, giving you the advantage of recording results, comparing velocities, calculating extreme spreads, and tracking different projectiles all in one place. For our busy customers who value convenience and ease, the compact design won't interfere with your firearm's zero or barrel harmonics, making it simple to use and a breeze to transport. This gadget doesn't just measure medium- and high-velocity projectiles for bullets, arrows and the like, but offers a whopping battery life up to 6 hours and boasts an IPX7 water-resistant rating, adding a multitude of benefits for those passionate about shooting practice. Let the easy-to-read, backlit display guide your experiences at the range and shoot with crisp clarity. Shop the selection of Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph at SCHEELS and take your shooting adventures to a whole new level.

Features

• Pair with your smartphone, and use the ShotView app to record results and keep track of your data: compare velocity for every shot fired, calculate extreme spreads, keep track of different projectiles, track deviation and more
  • Measures medium- and high-velocity projectiles from 100 fps to 5,000 fps for bullets, arrows, bolts, slugs, birdshot, paintballs and airsoft BBs
  • Easy to set up and simple to use; turn it on, point it in the right direction, and shoot within roughly 15" of the device
  • No need to attach anything to your firearm, which means it won't affect your zero or barrel harmonics
  • Compact design is easy to transport since it fits in your back pocket
  • Up to 6 hours of battery life give you plenty of time at the range
  • Built to endure the elements with IPX7 water-resistant rating
  • Features an easy-to-read, backlit display
  • Button-operated design is simple to use
  •  

2024-01-07_082132.png

Both the older sky screen chronographs and the newer Radar types will measure arrow velocity.

The Garmin Xero will measure just about everything.

• Measures medium- and high-velocity projectiles from 100 fps to 5,000 fps for bullets, arrows, bolts, slugs, birdshot, paintballs and airsoft BBs

Ballistic Chronographs like everything else has seen extensive evolution over the years. You had to be pretty well heeled to buy one of the first models as they were pricey. You actually shot through the screens which tripped the electronic speed measurement on the first ones, and had to buy new screens constantly to replace the shot out ones.

The later sky screen models that came out were a big improvement and like most things electronic started to become affordable to the average shooter. The sky screens were mounted on a perfectly measured rail that was mounted on a tripod, there were wires that had to be connected to the rail that were hooked up to the Chronograph itself. That system worked OK but was a pain to setup. I bought a mid priced "Pact" about 30 years ago that I have used and have had decent results with it. 

In recent times Caldwell and Pro Chrono build a Chrono that is housed along with the sky screens in one cabinet, relatively much easier to setup than the old wired Pact-Oehler style chronographs and priced reasonable for the average shooter.

The older sky screen models compared to these newer radar Chronos like the Garmin are Dinosaurs, in a word "simplicity."  For an avid reloader and shooter a good chronograph is a must if one wants to know exactly how the ammo they are producing is performing.

Al

2024-01-13_081558.png

2024-01-13_081800.png

• 7 months later...

Every now and then I make a purchase of a highly hyped product that exceeds my expectations. This little Garmin Xero Chronograph is one of those purchases, it is so simple and convenient to use compared to my Pact. I just love the thing. I use it every time I hit the range and it provides me with much eye opening data on what kind of ammo I am producing. One of the best purchases for me that I have ever made, a triple thumbs up.

Al

Edited by airedale