Frustrating Call With The DEC!

Cabin Fever

Merlot, on 23 Oct 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Cabin, maybe it's just as well to have your daughter sit on the ground in a makeshift ground blind this year, until she gets a little seasoning on hunting. A lot to think about for a youngster just getting started in a tree stand with a weapon of any kind. No disrespect towards your training of your daughter, but maybe it's just better for now to have her on the ground for now. Just my opinion. Good luck to you and your daughter on the hunt this season.

My daughter has been sitting with me in a 2 man treestand, since she was ~10. We use Hunters Safety System vests and use HSS lifelines at every stand. My daughter was appalled when I told her she might not be able to hunt from a 2 man stand with me, as many times as she's been tagging along with me on my hunts over the years! If a parent has an ounce of brains in their head, they would think safety above all else!  Do you realize in other states (PA), they have no such stupid laws and no minimum age to deer hunt?

• Like 2

My daughter has been sitting with me in a 2 man treestand, since she was ~10. We use Hunters Safety System vests and use HSS lifelines at every stand. My daughter was appalled when I told her she might not be able to hunt from a 2 man stand with me, as many times as she's been tagging along with me on my hunts over the years! If a parent has an ounce of brains in their head, they would think safety above all else!  Do you realize in other states (PA), they have no such stupid laws and no minimum age to deer hunt?

I know there are none on my properties and a few other guys i know that have large chunks of land. Sure does set ya back if you let someone else tell you how to enjoy your time in the field and life for that matter.  Those days are long gone!

Well, this just keeps getting better (and MORE confusing)!!

This was the email that I sent to WNYBuckHunter's contact and the response that I got back...

Mr. XXXX (DEC) –

My daughter is 15 and is looking forward to hunting with a crossbow this year. I have a question regarding her being able to use a treestand or not, while hunting with a crossbow? According to the regs (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/46245.html ) , youth between 12-15 years old can use a treestand while bowhunting, but 14-15 year olds using a firearm can not. Can she use a treestand hunting with a crossbow? I have some 2 man treestands, so we would be sitting side by side, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for the information.

Best Regards,

ZZZZZZZZZZ (Me)

Mr. ZZZZZZZZ (Me)

Yes, you and your daughter can hunt together from a tree stand.  The requirement to wear orange and hunt from the ground only applies for junior hunters and their mentors when hunting deer or bear with a firearm.  As the crossbow is not mentioned in this section, the restriction does not apply.

Happy Hunting and good luck.

Mr. XXXXXXXX (DEC)

Call #1 to the DEC, I was told YES she can.

Call #2 to the DEC (speaking to someone different), I was told NO she can't as the crossbow is considered a firearm! (She was quite bitchy too, like "DUHHHH, of course she can't, why would it be treated any different than hunting with a gun!")

Email #1 to the DEC, well I don't know, as it's been a whole week now with no response!!

Email #2 to the DEC (new contact), says YES she can, as the crossbow is NOT considered a firearm!!

So, I'll be printing up the email and carrying it with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can pretty much bank on his answer. Hes been around a while and I have never had him give me bad info, and Ive bounced alot of questions off of him. Glad he got back to you that fast!

It is confusing since they are treating the crossbow like a firearm. You have to be 14 to hunt with a crossbow, and have a  ML tag, Also you don't need a bow course. So you would think all the firearms rules would apply.

Edited by UnderDog