Montezuma Hunting

phade

Figured this would be better here since it can draw people from outside the region.

Taking my FIL there Friday for a day of hunting...regs look tough (carry in/out stands), 400 inches of blaze orange, time requirements, etc. My hunting lands have been hit hard this season, abnormally so, so this is to change the pace.

I thought about a climber, but may just bring my cheapo blind since much of the walking distance looks long...and my FIL is slowing up at his age (60's).

Anyone have experience there? I'm pretty good at reading aerials, and can pick out some spots, but I can't foresee the hunting pressure. I need to balance distance/quality hunting spots, too, with the FIL in tow.

Sorry I can not help. But I will be watching this post because I would love some info on here as well. My brother and I actually checked it out last Saturday afternoon since we also have a shortage of places and had doe permits here and heard there are a lot of deer in there. He drove around the areas and picked a likely looking spot. We ended up walking a trail for 2 miles before we could find a spot to get past a canal to the woods. My brother did see a nice buck but no shot and we saw tons of tracks. It is just gonna take a while to scout it out properly which you can only do in season. Any tips would be appreciated here as well.

You do have to sign in and out and can not be in the woods to early or late. You can get all info off there web site along with maps.

my brother and I hunted there the first day they opened it for gun deer hunting (seems like forever ago).

We were constantly harrassed by the wardens working at the swamp.

In the morning we had to check in, and our licenses were checked. When eating lunch, they checked our licenses and checked if our guns were unloaded.

We were hauled in for interrogation/scolding/threat of ticket when we walked out to our truck after official sundown.

Never again, not worth the hassle. The feds can keep their deer.

Phade,

If you do go there can you post your experience.  I'm very interested in it.  Sounds like it might be a hassle to go hunting there.  But the pressure is probably a lot less because most likely only responsible hunters go there and take care of the place.  Good Luck!!!

I went out on Friday. Interesting place to say the least.

I'd be more than happy to share whatever knowledge I gained if someone is interested in hunting Montezuma before the season...pm me. I did find one area that was particularly interesting, and the sign told me that a late season hunt could be successful. I spent more time trying to read the land than hunting it...in hope for next season.

I've hunted federal lands before, but these regs were particularly tight. The limited ability to scout really dampers short-term success. It would take a year or two worth of visits (a time or two each season) to really get a grasp on the deer movements. I'm not heading back before the end of the season (because I'm busy until the last weekend of MZ), so if someone wants a decent area to hunt there, I'd be glad to point it out.

I only saw one hunter the entire day on the two tracts I hunted....and that was at 10 a.m. as I was walking out for lunch. He was walking in...that's when I realized I was on 100 acres (give or take) all by myself.