Long Island Hunting

VAbowhunter

I'm new to the NY area and unfortunately live out on Long Island.  I say unfortunately becuase I come from Virginia and a county with tons of land, hunting buddies, and more deer than I wanted to take in a given season.

Anyways, I'm finally all set to go hunting up here with all of the new permits and licenses that I needed to get and am looking for some advice on the best public land on Long Island to head to.  I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole or anything like that, but if you have hunted on Long Island and know of a good public tract that I have a good chance of filling my tags on, I'd appreciate it! 

Good hunting!

If you have the county permits, there's plenty of good spots. Depending on where you live and how far you want to travel. If you're looking for a slammer buck, then you might have more problems filling your tags. Does are pretty plentiful , but the larger bucks are going to have a lot more pressure on them. Try getting out during the week when there's less pressure. Good luck.

Unfortunately? Long island has more popes entered then any other county. Probably pound for pound a larger number of BIG buck are taken on the island each and every year then any county in NY. This year is prob one of the better years for LI in my opinion since I have pictures of about 30 monsters taken there already not including ones I'll never hear about. Great county for deer hunting just have to find the spots. Plenty of land out east

I'm new to the NY area and unfortunately live out on Long Island. I say unfortunately becuase I come from Virginia and a county with tons of land, hunting buddies, and more deer than I wanted to take in a given season.

Anyways, I'm finally all set to go hunting up here with all of the new permits and licenses that I needed to get and am looking for some advice on the best public land on Long Island to head to. I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole or anything like that, but if you have hunted on Long Island and know of a good public tract that I have a good chance of filling my tags on, I'd appreciate it!

Good hunting!

Try the county lands....and try to go turning the week. I just started hunting the island last year and it has been a little frustrating to say the least.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info.  Sounds about like the situation back home if you plan on hunting public land, go during the week and scout for the best spots.  I work during the week so unfortunately that's out of the question.  I'm not looking for monster bucks either, just some meat to put in the freezer, so does are just fine.  I'll start the search this week...

Thanks again!

If your on facebook go check out and join "long island deer hunting"

There may be guys in there that will let you tag along. Start a post and there might be someone willing to assist that you can hook up with.

My job keeps me off of facebok, well line of work rather, not the actually place..anyways thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll meet up with someone eventually to show me the ropes up here.

My job keeps me off of facebok, well line of work rather, not the actually place..anyways thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll meet up with someone eventually to show me the ropes up here.

Shoot a PM to bigbass007. Since your not on Facebook he might be able to link you up with someone or even help you out. He's pretty involved with the guys on that site I listed. It's worth a shot, he's a good guy

So are chiggers in some areas but they seem to have died down by the end of oct.

Get some sawyer permetherin spray from dicks

Dicks in Commack sold out its supply in days.

Campsite Sporting Goods in Huntington had plenty yesterday and will reorder as necessary.

I spent all of last night learning about ticks on the Internet.

VAbowhunter,

Are you familiar with Lyme disease carried by Long Island ticks?

Dicks in Commack sold out its supply in days.

Campsite Sporting Goods in Huntington had plenty yesterday and will reorder as necessary.

I spent all of last night learning about ticks on the Internet.

VAbowhunter,

Are you familiar with Lyme disease carried by Long Island ticks?

I'm all too famiiar with Lyme, not specifically to LI though.  My father is now allergic to ALL redmeat due to a tick-bite and possible Lyme disease.  He's been allergic now for going on 6 years and was the one who got me into hunting, poor guy..

I've got a bullseye on me for ticks too, so I'll be taking every possible precaution; don't know what I'd do if I end up like my old man and can't enjoy some fresh backstrap or tenderloins.