nonresident hunter

tom343

Though born in NY I now live in NJ. I have not missed deer season in NY since 1961 except when deaths in family made it impossible. I like the idea of the $100 license. I don't understand how nonresidents can be expected to hunt in NY with all the new stiffleing (sic!) confusing regulations about weapons. I hear ammuniition is now going to be stamped and a license will be needed to buy it. I hear swapping your gun with a companion is going to be illegal.  Does NY want non-residents to hunt or are they simply trying to entrap them?

Years ago when NJ started licensing long-arms some shrewd venal prosecutor in Bergen County had his police interdict cars with NY tags and guys dressed in hunting togs as they transitted NJ on Route 17 between the George Washinton Bridge and Suffern, the NY line. He has some of these folks arrested for being in violation of NJ's just enacted gun laws. Many of these guys lost their guns; some actually got some sort of record. I think the NY and NJ attorney generals came to some sort of agreement to clear this up. For my part, I went up the Deegan and avoided NJ.

Now I live here (NJ) and see all this stuff about how great NY is. Is this some sort of Trojan Horse? Do they want my money or not?

Cuomo lies that that Safe Act does not affect hunters and made us safer.

No box magazines that can hold over 10 rounds - illegal. Of course they were not legal to hunt with for a long time, but use to be legal to use at a gun range.

Adjustable stock or fore-grip plus box magazine in a semi-auto is now considered an assault weapon - must be registered as an assault weapon.  No inheritance must be sold out-of-state or turned in at owner's death.

Of course, no pistols can be brought into the state without a current NY pistol license that must be renewed every 5 years.

Can only pass a gun parent <-> child, or between siblings, or spouse.  No passing between in-laws or from a grandparent to a grandchild.  This is not currently for field use or range use.  Owner transports the firearms to place of use (the day's hunt or day at the range) and must be there during its use.  So a buddy currently can use your other gun to hunt together, as long as you are present at the hunt.  You must take possession back to transport back to your home after the hunt/range usage.  They can not take it back to their home to use for the weekend/week (unless you are staying there with it).

Safe Act part two my classify semi-auto pistols as assault weapons and further restrict the field usage of a gun.  They are planning to outlaw 50 cal rifles (muzzle loader excepted).  No grandfathering or registration of them - seizing/confiscating them.  There is a rumor all semi-autos (rifle and shotgun) regardless of shell capacity may be classified as an assault weapon in a future update to the Safe Act.  All these bills are being sponsored by City people who absolutely know what they are doing - NOT!!!

Can't vote Democrat or Republican in my town, a certain group in one of the town's villages own both candidates.  We have an independent running against both parties.  We hope we can get him enough votes.

Please have any NY relatives vote out Cuomo and his lackeys.  There is a list in another thread of how each member of the NY Legislature voted on the Safe Act.

Edited by Two Track

If all the vets, servicemen and upstaters just get out and vote, Mario's little goober will be through politically. If the other guy (Astorino?) even comes close, Childe Andy will have lost his policial 'legs'. Please encourage all of our ilk to vote for the other guy. I don't even remember his name (I think I came close before) but even if the other party was running Ghengis Khan it would be a  lesson to the Democrats. A guy with no money and no help from national beating an incumbent would be a wonderful thing.