Potential Squirrel Dog?

So, I have my GF's daughters dog living with us for a few months till she moves into a new apt in January. I dont know squat about dog breeds so was looking for some opinions on the little guy posted below; hes definitely a mutt  ,but, to me, he looks like he has some kind of hound breed in him. I thought he may be of some use squirrel hunting, What do you think?

IMG_0123.jpg

• Like 1

Having spent my life working and training various hunting dogs I have come to the conclusion that coming up with a number one Squirrel dog is one of the most difficult things to achieve in the hunting dog world. A top Squirrel dog has to use it's eyes, ears and nose. Squirrels are tricky little buggers, they run on the ground, they climb trees and will go up one tree and jump over to another and another (Timbering), it will take some kind of dog to stay with them.

That being said when it comes to hunting dogs you never know until you try. I have seen dogs that one would not look at as a hunting breed yet they were terrific for certain kinds of hunting. One of the best Coon dogs I ever saw was a non-descript Collie type farm dog.

Top squirrel dogs for the most part will come from breeds that are bred especially for Squirrel hunting and tested for many generations. Cur breeds and Fiest dogs are at the top of the list and are what most serious Squirrel hunters train and use.

I have trained some of my Airedales to hunt Squirrels with reasonably good success, but many do not make it because they do not have the strong treeing instinct like the breeds mentioned above or some treeing Hound breeds especially on game that is very small like a Squirrel. I have a pup right now that is going to be tested and by the end of Squirrel season I should know if he has what it takes. The number one thing is getting them in the timber where you know there are Squirrels and observe.

Below is a couple of photos, the blond dog is my buddy Pete Bassani's Kemmer Cur, he came up to my place for a hunt and to pick up an Airedale, she was a real good one. The other is of my TJ he was a pretty fair squirrel dog in his own right but not in the Kemmer's class.

I can say this hunting with a good squirrel dog is about as much fun as it gets.

Also I posted a little video that gives a short synopsis on training, there are many others on youtube if you get serious.

Good Luck

Al

2024-09-08_092845.png

2024-09-08_093044.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Just want to add that I do not want to make it sound like a hunter needs a number one dog to have success in the Squirrel woods, my Squirrel dogs have been just average, and I still had a blast and have killed a lot of Squirrels with them over the years. Once in a lifetime hunting dogs of any breed are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Al

• Like 1

Got my pup Ruff into the woods today looking for a Squirrel but things were slow, saw one Chipmunk and the mosquitoes were fierce, that being said I liked everything I saw with this pup. He has his nose down and he is ranging out and hunting, have trained a lot of pups and I like what I am seeing with young Ruff.

Al

2024-09-11_134811.png