Northern zone 2014

wolc123

I’m looking forward to hunting deer up north this year.  Last year was probably my worst ever up there, not even seeing a deer in (11) days of hunting.  Things are definitely looking better this season, with recent sightings of at least (2) good ones.  

My wife was up there last weekend and saw a big doe with a fawn.  Hopefully, I’ll be able to punch my antlerless tag on that big doe during early ML week this Saturday thru next Friday.  

There has also been a decent 6 pointer hanging around all summer, and it was sighted by her parents just after she left on Sunday.  I’ll be after him all week with my ML and thru the next weekend with my rifle.  

I’ve got most of my gear packed and ready to go, and am heading out for the4.5 hour drive after work on Friday.  I’m bringing along my scoped T/C Omega 50 cal ML, my open sighted Remlin 336 BL 30/30, and my J Stevens 16 ga side by side (for grouse).

I’ll use my father in laws scoped Marlin 336 30/30, if it’s not raining, during the rifle season weekend.  I’m also bringing some 16 ga slugs, and might try a deer hunt or two with my double.  It fits right on st 50 yards with both barrels.  It would be cool to get a deer or bear with that. 

I’ll also be doing lots of smallmouth bass fishing, in search of that elusive 22 inch plus bass to get mounted.  I’ll release any others, but keep any incidental perch, for my mother in law.  I can’t wait to get up there and am very thankful for the favorable weather forecast.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

All of my Deer hunting in recent years has been in the northern zone, the cool weather stretch we just had was getting me in the mood to do some Deer hunting. Now I see we are going into another warm weather spell so I will put the Deer hunting off for a little while longer and continue to hunt small game.

Al

• Like 1

I'm a born and raised northern tier hunter and I love it. The scenery is often breathtaking and it keeps me grounded almost like my church. You don't see a ton of deer but you sure get excited about the ones you do see. I've taken a few trips south with a few people I've met on here and had a great time but always look forward to going back north.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

I'm a born and raised northern tier hunter and I love it. The scenery is often breathtaking and it keeps me grounded almost like my church. You don't see a ton of deer but you sure get excited about the ones you do see. I've taken a few trips south with a few people I've met on here and had a great time but always look forward to going back north.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

You got that right.  The worst thing about the deer hunting up there, is how piss poor it makes the hinting seem in other places, regardless of how many more or how much bigger the deer might be.  The ones up north are all worth at least double to me.  

A decent 3-pointer will trip my trigger up there, where around home in WNY, I’m usually looking for at least 3 points on a side.  The best in world scenery and the solitude up there are worth that much to me at least.  I’ve traveled to most of the lower 48, and none of them have anything on NY’s Adirondacks and Thousand Islands region, when it comes to the scenery.  I’ve hunted the high desert of Colorado one time, and that was plenty. I could care less if I never cross the Mississippi again.  

I’m trying to talk my wife into looking for a decent chunk of land and moving to the town of Rossie (not sure if that’s how you spell it) after we retire.  That’s about half way between her parents place and my family’s vacation cottage on Goose bay.  I don’t want to be waterfront (taxes are too high), but half way between those places would give us plenty of fast (less than 30 minute) free access to it.