New cabin plans

noodle874

Burm, I love that idea and def want to do that however,I have no phone available at the street. A big ole mountain behind me which makes my satellite connection spotty at best. Cell reception is next to nill. What do you have up your sleeve? I think for heat we are prob going the route of a wood burner. I want it in the "greatroom" but would it be totally more efficient to have it in the basement? Ambiance is a big deal.

Frank Corbett is a licensed electrician who lives/lived on Bouchouxville rd. Right above the entrance to our place (the newer trailer that sits back in the woods by hairpin turn). We haven't seen him in a year or so but may be worth checking him out if he still lives there. He stated he bought some land in Arizona and may move there last year. That might be why we haven't seen him.

I noticed on Saturday that their was a place for sale next to the pink and purple house the gay guys lived in. Might be cheaper in the long run. Also the Red place just before the pink and purple place has been for sale for a few years. Might get a good deal. Only suggestions.

Edited by Zemmer18

Block will be cheaper but the Concrete will have a higher resale. If you plan on finishing the basement, the poured can have  a foam forming system that stays in place and allows for easier finishing.

Depending on the manufactures in the area and access to your site, you could also look into precast concrete foundations.

ICF- Insulated concrete forms . I used them when I put in my foundation for my loghome . 1 1/2 " foam insulation inside and outside . Very cost effective , you can put the foundation walls together yourself , then have the concrete pumped or poured , depends on the height. My wife and I assembled the walls, had a contractor put in the footer and pour the walls .Saved us a bundle ,1500 sq ft . basement , look into it .

I didn't read all the posts , so forgive me if this has been mentioned, but what about an outhouse if its legal. Check into a composting toilet, alternatives and way cheaper.post-3676-0-11358100-1415757918_thumb.jp

The landowner is not a real go getter and we never see him until we drive over to pay him so it doesn't surprise me the places are falling down. He used to rent that yellow house out to an old lady that was a retired school teacher from NYC. We got to know her and would stop in from time to time. I went in one day and she had over 300 baby chicks INSIDE. place smelled awful and the textured ceilings were actually smooth. It was mold hanging down to give it the textured look. Such a shame. That would have been a great cabin for us.

The coyote ate really well that year. She had goats, chickens, guinea hens and peacocks. Notice I used the word HAD. Found most of the remains up in the woods while hunting that year.

Edited by Zemmer18

Obama, That cabin is sweet. I hope to get to that stage early next summer. I hate shelling out that kinda money for septic but man after 25 years I'm just done roughing it. Plus with the old lady and kids I have to do it right. We have a lot of rattlesnake by us. I couldn't ever use a outhouse with peace of mind if you catch my drift.

Ouch!

Are you able to consult with any other soils engineers in the area? Just curious.

In my case: the town, the county, and one independent soils engineer adamantly stated that I would absolutely be required to install a pumped aeration system based on the perc tests I had done. The tests were designed by the county and I have clay everywhere. The fourth engineer came out and dug holes to see for himself and designed a system that's working just fine for me. Cost me $3500, but I had to shovel mud and glue pipe with the guys as well.

Spend some time with the local folks and find out who knows what in the area. Can't hurt.

Best,

Mark

Yes the black gate with the orange paint on the corners. Our cabin is in about 1/4 mile. Very rustic, no electric or water. Propane lights and stove, old plastic porta John, but we do have a urinal inside piped to a dry well. Woodstove for heat. Home away from home but 5 days max, then home for a real shower, not boiled creek water.

LOL Joyce was her name. She was a character. That Damn goat climbed into one of our guys minivan through the side door he left open. He went to open the back hatch and got the crap scared out of him when the goat was in his face inside his van.

Edited by Zemmer18

Zem, man that's funny. For 25 years I've wondered what was back there. Always seemed like a great place to hunt. It is like a 50 % chance that as I drive by there will be a deer hanging out right behind that gate. That's a great spot between the 2 mountains. That goes all the way to the summer camp by 97 if I'm not mistaken. We have electric finally and pump spring water to the trailer for hot showers but the trailer days for me are very much numbered.

Yes it does go way back and there are trails to 97 but I have not hiked that far. On the left side, we border Tomar hunting club. They are huge, thousands of acres and over 30+ members. The do drives and only shoot bucks, so we have been told. We own to the top of the mountain on the right, where all the little 5 acre parcels are at the old camp on top. Here's a pic of our cabin back

Cabin.jpg[/url]

• Like 1

Philo, I had the same thought. Maybe get another engineer out but it's like $450 for a visit between the engineer and the guy with the machine. I did a search on civil engineers in my county and came up with nada. I get the feeling this guy is the only act around.What kind of system did you put in and did it pass inspection?

That's a hunting camp. You must have taken bear out of there over the years. The mountain to your right is Grandview acres. I know guys who have property by the power lines who have taken quite a few. They seem to like that area. How many acres do you hunt?

The tax map says approximately 330 acres. Since 74, only 2 bear have been taken back there. The new owner does not want any shot on his property and all of us are ok with that. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread too. I did send you a PM earlier. If you drive by and see any of us, stop by and ask for Zem. We'll have you up for a beer.

If you're land is in the watershed you can expect to pay close to double that estimate for the septic system. 

Very true.

Also keep in mind that the CWC and DEP may be required to pick up the difference in cost if their regulations/requirements are the reason for the increase in cost.

For example, if your septic cost is estimated at $6500, but DEP won't approve it and requires a system which cost $10,000, they are supposed to reimburse you the $3500 difference.

There is a process for this, and it isn't necessarily easy. If you are in the watershed area, contact CWC (Catskill Watershed Corporation) in Margaretville. They can answer many of your questions. Make sure to research this topic throughly before investing in perc tests, septic designs, etc.