Finally got my first buck!

mnowa28

So opening morning me and my grandfather went out for a few hours. Right before we packed it in around 10:15 we took a walk alittle further in the woods. All of a sudden im standing there I turn and a spike is staring at me. I thought it was to good to be true. I stayed calm even with my heart racing, picked my shotgun up from the tree all of this while the deer is staring and not moving. I put my sight on him and he ran about 50 yards and dropped. It was such a great feeling and I feel so accomplished and proud of myself.

post-5710-0-86855500-1416261490_thumb.jp

post-5710-0-76529800-1416261507_thumb.jp

Edited by mnowa28
  • Like 8

Congratulations.  Bet your grandfather was proud too.  He will probably the story to his buddies and say how proud he was of you.

Enjoy all the times you get to hunt with him. I only had couple years of small game hunting with mine before he really couldn't hunt anymore and he passed on a couple years later.  Take pictures of you together on your hunts - those pictures will treasured in the future. 

Enjoy the nice lean tender venison.  If you can, you may want to keep the antlers. I have my dad's first buck's antlers and those are spikes on a skull cap.  I have had them since I was about 4 years old when he got that deer.