Chevy Colorado beats F-150 for Truck of the Year

First-light

The cost of the colorado is way too high. A nice decked out one is sitting near a dealership by me for $35k. I could get a full size for that.

That is the problem with the small/mid truck segment historically, costs nearly as much or as much as a full size with alot less capabilities, and negligible gas mileage gains. The Colorado was supposed to fix this, but the price point is silly. I can go grab an F-150 or a Silverado for that price with similar amenities, or very close to it.

There's a reason why Ford dropped the Ranger and Dodge/Ram dropped the Dakota. Only Toyota has been capable of keeping the Tacoma alive. While that model had frame issues at one point, its pretty rugged and they last a long time. They cost more than the full-sizes when I was looking at them, however. The Frontier is just another basic truck and Nissan has historically let models live on past their use.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Case in point:

Simmons Rockewell -

Full Size:

c14-798 2014 Chevrolet
Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab 4x4 4dr Z71 All Star Automatic Black $44,835 $35,999 See Details

Colorado:

c15-134 2015 Chevrolet
Colorado 4x4 Z71 Crew Cab 4dr LongBox Automatic Rainforest green metallic $36,535 $34,999 See Details

Seriously...that is silly. No wonder it won truck of the year...dump the same or more development money into half the truck with lower overall sales...

Edited by phade

The cost of the colorado is way too high. A nice decked out one is sitting near a dealership by me for $35k. I could get a full size for that.

That is the problem with the small/mid truck segment historically, costs nearly as much or as much as a full size with alot less capabilities, and negligible gas mileage gains. The Colorado was supposed to fix this, but the price point is silly. I can go grab an F-150 or a Silverado for that price with similar amenities, or very close to it.

There's a reason why Ford dropped the Ranger and Dodge/Ram dropped the Dakota. Only Toyota has been capable of keeping the Tacoma alive. While that model had frame issues at one point, its pretty rugged and they last a long time. They cost more than the full-sizes when I was looking at them, however. The Frontier is just another basic truck and Nissan has historically let models live on past their use.

I think the biggest reason the Tacoma has stayed alive is because Toyota, for the most part, has a good reputation for reliability, and that results in a dedicated following.  So if you want a Toyota truck your options become the Tacoma or the Tundra and the Tundra isn't a true 1/2 ton.  It's a weird hybrid halfway between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton.  It's too much truck for some so they slide down into the Tacoma. 

Also, the Tacoma is the only mid-size that can have a crew cab and not look dumb.