Powebelt Aero 245 gr

eagle rider

I know I have some really strong opinions on the Powebelts Aeros.  I lost a deer due to no exit wound with a 50 cal 223 gr Aero over two 777 50 gr pellets last season.  I was an okay hit, and I have blamed the bullet thinking it fell apart because they are lightly constructed.  I called Powerbelt Bullets last week.  They feel that their 223 gr Aerotip is every bit as tough as the famed 180 gr patched round ball that we used in the NY for decades until modern bullets became legal.  It got me thinking about deer I saw drop in their tracks from those 180 gr round balls.  I know the 223 gr is very accurate in my TC Triumph with 100 grs of 777 (two pellets).  

So here are my thoughts, stick with the 223 which that rifle is zero for and neck shoot using two pellets.  Lets say that's option 1.

Option 2 would be use the 223 with 3 pellets, but I don't know how that will fly since it will be about 300 FPS faster.

Option 3 (Which I think I like) is is use a 245 gr Powerbelt Aerotip with 3 pellets.  The Velocity should be equal or very close two what the 223 is doing with two pellets.  I think it would print close to what the 223 gr is doing with 2 pellets (option 1 load which is zero in my TC rifle).  I think the 245 gr bullet will do more damage just because its 10% heavier than the 223 gr and it might stay together better going through a deer.

Options 2 and 3 I have not tried before but would be willing to hunt with.  In thinking about a deers' vitals I'd have to hit a an area the size of a pie plate at 100 yds.  The 223 gr with two pellets can do it no problem, so how much can option 3 vary from that?

Incidentally, I met a guy who Muzzle Loads Southern Ohio and takes some real giants.  He necks shoots using a 223 gr Aerotip with two pellets shooting the same rifle as me.  

Okay, thoughts and wisdom is appreciated.  

Option 4 use a better bullet... Xtp, fpb, deep curl, shock wave,  sst, or the Barnes line of bullets. Very very rarely is a max loaded need for supreme accuracy. Just my two cents, good luck

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

Yeah I hear it.  I like the concept of the Powerbelt admittedly.  I think next year I might try the Harvester Sabertooth.  Supposedly, its the real deal with using the gas check design.  This is a load on my backup gun,  My main gun is a Prohunter FX that I use a 250 grain Shockwave in.