Info and suggstions about LI Hunting

mike rossi

Very often, there are inquiries about waterfowl hunting on and around Long Island. I also saw at least one inquiry about the Raritan Bay. I do not live in the region; however it is well-known that Long Island has world class waterfowl hunting. Yet many local hunters do not know where they can hunt and it appears local authorities are not forthcoming about inquiries by hunters. I am guessing that local experienced hunters and guides do not freely give out this info. The DEC may not want to answer grey areas of the law pertaining to local ordinances out there. There are a surprising number of private hunt clubs, waterfowl conservation chapters and organizations, as well as retriever clubs on Long Island. I came across some info about one particular municipality which has a hunter access program in place, and the local politians are waterfowl hunters. It is important LI hunters note that it is possible to put hunters in office in your region, and once there, keep them in office. But that’s not what this is about. There also may be other municipalities, park, etc., and/or DEC waterfowl access programs that are available to hunters. Information about these may be somewhat guarded, and that is understandable to a point. Most waterfowl hunting programs are structured to distribute hunting opportunity and provide a quality hunt by spreading hunters out and managing hunting pressure as not to disperse birds. It is possible the “waiting list” is so large that people aware of these areas already don’t get in enough and therefore further advertising is not done. That is why local hunters must launch grassroots efforts to expand these programs all over LI, as there is enough good waterfowl habitat/water to accommodate many hunters. It is my understanding however, that some municipalities have ordinances out to where in the water is considered their jurisdiction. Some hunters have even claimed to be harassed by law authorities at boat launches, etc... Anyway, we got much to do in NY. Here is the info I have come across:

Rich Franks and Albert Tuzzolo our Southampton Town Bay Constables who are hunter safety instructors

Youth Waterfowl Hunt at Hubbard County Park

Youth Waterfowl Hunt at South haven Park