Suffolk Gun Drawing Number

NYDeer

You should be able to, as long as you are willing to hunt somewhere new to you..

Many people have work, and miss making appts/reservations.. The numbers go up to 2500, but they never fill all appts. A friend usually hunts standby all the time..

The far eastern properties check in/out off Old Montauk Hwy in a DOT maintenance garage. You can make it there in 15 minutes from any spot out there, and usually the guys running the check station are a bit more 'casual' than some of the ridge folks..

and remember, any does, get you a bonus tag.. Check one, then go back out to the woods!

If you choose a Ridge check in location, you'll eat more time up checking a doe and might not make it back out to the woods..

I've only hunted LI a handful of times.  Mostly at Hither Hills (East Hampton Cooperative).  I've seen a fair share of doe out there but nothing worth shooting (just to be clear, I think a mature, healthy doe is worth shooting).  However, I've repeatedly seen a dozen or more deer of all shapes and sizes right in the traffic circle near Montauk Point.  I'm thinking about trying to hunt near there.  I once hunted Rocky Point two days after a snowfall - after trudging all over God's earth I managed to see one deer track in the snow that was frozen (track was a day or more old).  Perhaps not fair to judge a place based on one experience but I did burn a day off from work and it wasnt worth it.  Any suggestions on other LI spots?  I've never been anywhere but Rocky Point or East Hampton.   

Im new to hunting the state and DEC lands.  I hunted a few spots at Otis Pike but didnt see much.  I guess its hit or miss.  That was during bow season.  I have to imagine gun is different  probably alot more deer movemnet due to shotting.  I bet you will see alot more does.  The bucks probablyget holed up in thick thick cover with all teh gun shots and hunters.  JMO.  Good Luck

in 2003, I tagged an adks buck, and only had a dmp for suffolk.. Jan 15, 15 degrees out with fresh snow from that morning.. Wouldn't ya know, I'm sitting eating breakfast.. Gun against the tree, and a grisly grey snout old buck comes walking right up & passes me at 25 yards.. 8 point, couple inches wider than the ears both sides, but the tallest time was like 4-5 inches max. He just kept walking a straight line, never raised his drooped head, changed pace or direction, while I continued to munch granola, speechless.. Wound up taking a small doe I spotted off the trail going back to the truck.. but that memory was the prize for me..