TSA Gun Case locks

I will be traveling with my firearms for the first time and I was wondering what locks everyone uses. I have a pelican case, but the pelican locks from what I read still allow anyone to open the case about 3 inches and can slide some items out. are their any locks that people use for pelican cases that are TSA compliant and do not allow this?

I travel with my shotguns annually, for 20 plus years. When checking in at airline counter alert them you have a firearm to declare. They will ask you to open the case, confirm it's unloaded, and sign a neon orange tag that is placed inside.

AFTER that, you lock the case and I always wrap electrical tape around both ends to insure nothing falls out if one of the locks happens to fail.

AFTER that, the gate agent will ask you to wait at the counter until your case is cleared by TSA. I assume TSA could come out and ask you to open it again, but that has never happened to me. Usually after 5-10 minutes, a call comes from the back saying your all set.

Repeat on way home...Very easy.

As far as a case goes, I have had great luck with the inexpensive DMC cases the airlines recommend. See below...

post-5616-0-37030300-1419627709_thumb.jp

Yes TSA is pretty rough when handling luggage so a strong Pelican case is great.  Despite what anyone may say regarding TSA approved locks you should know that when transporting firearms it is Illegal to have it in a case that can be opened by a master key, which is essentially what TSA locks are.  Get your own strong lock with your own keys. They will ask you to open it and even it they lock it the key must be returned to you.  Also know that you will be demonstrating that the firearm is indeed unloaded and not a TSA agent. A TSA agent is NOT authorized nor are they trained in handling firearms.  IF they feel the need to further inspect the firearm they must have an LEO there to do it, whether it be a local LEO or TSA LEO.  Just a few pointers when checking in.  Otherwise malesi1 is spot on with checking in your firearm.  You didnt say if you were hunting or competing so either way, best of luck!

Yes TSA is pretty rough when handling luggage so a strong Pelican case is great.  Despite what anyone may say regarding TSA approved locks you should know that when transporting firearms it is Illegal to have it in a case that can be opened by a master key, which is essentially what TSA locks are.  Get your own strong lock with your own keys. They will ask you to open it and even it they lock it the key must be returned to you.  Also know that you will be demonstrating that the firearm is indeed unloaded and not a TSA agent. A TSA agent is NOT authorized nor are they trained in handling firearms.  IF they feel the need to further inspect the firearm they must have an LEO there to do it, whether it be a local LEO or TSA LEO.  Just a few pointers when checking in.  Otherwise malesi1 is spot on with checking in your firearm.  You didnt say if you were hunting or competing so either way, best of luck!

Thanks for info...I will be getting a better case and lock next year.

Thanks for the info. I will actually be flying down to FL to visit my cousin. Going to be doing some duck and hog hunting. Can't wait, this will be my first time hunting out of state and first time hunting ducks and hog. Pretty pumped.

Yes, do not use TSA locks. The locks should be able to opened only by you. Also, the TSA does not do the checking of the firearm, the police do. At least on the NY side. Once the firearm is checked to be unloaded, and serial numbers, you then sign a declaration and lock it in the case. It is not to be opened by anyone from that point on. Make sure you allow extra time for this process. It usually takes the cops a while to get there and do it. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I will actually be flying down to FL to visit my cousin. Going to be doing some duck and hog hunting. Can't wait, this will be my first time hunting out of state and first time hunting ducks and hog. Pretty pumped.

Yea no problem, good luck on the hunt, I've never duck hunted either but I am seriously consider it.  Gives me more excuses to get out there! Get those hogs man, they're a damn menace!

Wound up buying two heavy duty master locks for the pelican case. Went through the airport no problem and have no doubt my firearms are secure enjoy a few beers before take off..... Now it's time for some duck and hog hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk