Tasty Tallow-Free Deer Ribs

adkbuck

post-725-0-70262000-1419879481_thumb.jpg

Although I eat almost anything until I started cooking ribs with this method Mrs.Adkbuck objected to the waxy tallow which seems to be inherent in deer ribs.  There is a little more work involved in making deer ribs that are free from this waxy substance which can cling to you teeth or the roof of your mouth but its worth it.  Here is what I do.  

1. Cut your ribs to be 4 or 5 inches long and separate into sections of 2 or 3 ribs .  For the top ribs include the part that has some loin meat left on it from when you pulled off the loins.  Remove as much fat from the ribs as possible.   For the bottom sections I just cut off them where they meet the brisket.  Even after cutting of all the fatty meat there is a lot of hidden meat left to enjoy.

2. Place the ribs on a broiler pan that has holes or slots on it to allow the melting tallow to drip away from the ribs and collect in the bottom of the pan. 

3. Turn the broiler of your oven on low.  Place the ribs on the broiler pan at least 4 inches away from the flame.  I think this will work with an electric broiler but I don't have any experience other than with a gas broiler.

Keep the ribs under the broiler for  twenty minutes per side or more  until most of the fat and tallow have drained off.  Be careful not to burn ribs.

5.  Cook the ribs using your favorite rib recipes.  I cook mine in a slow cooker with about 2/3 a of bottle of dinosaur BBQ sauce plus water to cover for 8 hours on low.  I finish them in the oven at 250 degrees (one-half hour each side) basting with the remaining BBQ sauce. 

6. The last few deer we did this way tasted as good as pork ribs.   Thanks for reading.  Good luck.

• Like 4

Thanks guys.  Something I forgot, which you guys I am sure already probably do.  When you hang your deer get a pot of salt water and a clean cloth and wipe off the inside surfaces of the ribs to clean them up and remove the blood and residue from the field dressing.  Not totally necessary but makes them a bit nicer.

Pigmy!   My hope for you is that you continue to hunt you way though countless more productive seasons in good health .....and that you consume untold numbers of tasty ribs! 

• Like 1