New to Food Plots...HELP!

This year I have made the decision to start a small food plot at my cabin(1-5acres). I would to know what equipment I should get, I am using an atv. Where to find that equipment cheap, what food plot seeds I should use and also when to plant. Have looked into a couple brands specifically alfa, clover, tall tines tubers. Also my cabin does have a lack of water suppl, but there is a well to supply the water.

I am by no means an expert but I have used both a walk behind tiller which is gruelling work and a quad with kolpins dirtwork series attachments. For a plot that an acre in size or greater I would highly recommend finding a local farmer to till the plot. In regards to the seeds, I have had lots of success with whitetail institute. There website has detailed instruction on the when and how. Don't worry about the water. Try to plant right before rain and you should be good. I also recommend getting a soil test done so you how much lime and fertilizer to purchase. Good luck... it's hard work but is very rewarding!!

for equipment,The cheapest you can go, If your going to concentrate on clovers, get a good sprayer,to kill off your weeds.and look into a good spiked drag/harrow.

This Will Help Remove The Trash FROM The surface,cover seed and help work in lime/fertilizer. Clover is small seed and you only need to work up top 1/4 to 1/2 in of soil.

not going to get into soil test,and such as,you question was for equipment,you can add stones and cinder blocks to drag to make it dig a but deeper, but the key is removing weed compatition,and the dead surface trash to allow seed to soil contact

agrisupply.com is good online supper for atv mounted sprayers,and harrow dragshttp://www.agrisupply.com/m/drag-harrow/p/72895/

post-899-0-94916100-1425712759.jpg as well as heavier equipment , but you may find it locally at a farm supply store like tractor supply.

Edited by G-Man

G-Mans spot on...back when...my drag cost around 200...I believe they are a bit more now and worth it.

I will mention lime for I see alfalfa aS first seed mentioned. Do a soil test first thing and unless you are blessed with a PH of 6.5-7 already..put alfalfa out of your thoughts for now. If time allows work your soil all summer weed killing / De-rocking /liming then plant a fall mix ie...max attraction...which is a fall planting of clovers and chicory with annual oats and Braddock. That way you'll have a spring turkey area and a head start on the season

1-5 acres is a big gap and that is $$$ as well as land..IMO start small build up. That way you can gauge what you really want to invest ...money and time wise

• Like 1

I agree with grow, work that ground up all spring and summer , spraying and re working to kill as much as possible ,working lime in as needed according to a soil test.

a good planting of winter wheat,rye ,or hardy oats mixed with a good clover seed.late summer early fall, will give you max attract this fall and next spring summer fall and winter as clover grows and fulls in.you can over seed more clover next spring and fall or add in some brassica then as the clover will have time to grow and fix nitrogen to the soil.

I'll add it's better to do a smaller plot right and add to it the following year/s then to do the whole 5 acres haphazzardly

• Like 1

With clover no,if you spend the time to work and spray and kill the weeds, if you switch to corn.... yes,soy beans... yes, alfalfa,clover,trifoil and most cereal grains if used in a mix... no

personally a good field of clover is a huge draw and puts up a lot of tonnage

If you let grain go to seed before you mow the turkeys will be in it for that, as well as grasshoppers and crickets.

if after 2-3 years of using the clover you decide you want to get.bigger or do more winter foods ,corn,sorgum,soybeans get a field cultivator. Tillers are nice but really fluff the soil if you don't busy teat on rocks and you need to roll it to firm.the seed bed, a field cultivator and your drag will do the same and you will be about 1200.00 in savings on equipment vs tiller. Other things you could.buy with that savings would.be a good tow brush hog to maintain the clover field, mow trail you ca n then plant in more clover.. if you plan on doing more plotting over 5 acres with corn and grains ,a good used Ford 8n tractor that is mechanicaly good will go for around 1200, it maybe dinged and dented in sheet metal but will pull all your atv equipment with more power, and less wear n tear on a.piece of equipment meant for recreation.