15 year olds first buck Contest Stories!

Robinson446

Hey guys, im 15, Sunday was my last day to hunt due to school on monday and that was offically the last day but again i had school. So i went out sunday. Just a sunlight i was drinking my coffee and watching a hunting show just getting ready to go out. My little 10 year old sister came running out of her room saying, Jordan jordan jordan! there are like 50 deer down back. I walked to the window and out in the feild about 500 yards from the house stood 4 deer. I laughed and said nice eye but theres only 4. I got dressed, grabbed the gun, it was raining so i grabbed a sock out of my drawer and put it over the scope so it wouldnt get foggy and wet so i couldnt see. I snuck down into the pine trees on my hands and knees. I get about 100 yards and the skippys that were with the momma spotted me. They must have been curious because the momma and skips all ran too where i was. I took the sock off the scope. as soon as i did, a big rain dropp soaked my scope. i didnt notice it tho. the momma led the pack and ran about 50 yards from me. I put it right on her pump station. took a deep breath and let it out and sqeezed the trigger nice and easy. I made a rookie mistake. The gun was still on safe! i clicked the safe off and she was still standing there under a tree. i shot. they all took off. I walked down to look for blood. None. I didnt get it. What did i do wrong? i was calm as could be. So i Looked at the tree she was under and a branch that was about a half of an inch around was broken. Yeah i shot the branch that i didnt see through the scope. So i walked up too the house. got another cup of coffee and waited for my dad to get up. He got called out for a service call to fix a furnace. He got back at 1 in the morning. So i let him sleep. I figured id let him sleep. The phone then rang. Oh look at that, a service call. It was right down the road though but it was a big job. took about 2 hours. so i went down and sat in the pine trees wathcing the feild for a good hour and a half.  it was around 12 when he got back and got his stuff on and got into the truck. We went to his friends land that is a tree hugger but called us up too take some deer off his land because they were eating his bushes. ahaha. after sitting in the woods for a good 4 hours. i was cold. i was dry on the inside layers, but cold. so we went to the truck. on the way back to the truck i spotted something in the feild. it had a big black tail. so i made sure the gun was open with no bullets in it and on safe and i looked through the scope at it. it was a border collie..... haha. so we went to the truck. with an hour left of day light it looked like my hunt was over. I had a good season so i wasnt too bummed. i really wanted a buck though. so we were driving home and i go stop! whos land is this! he said scotts. I said uncle scotts? he said yeah its the back side of his hill... he told me i could hunt when ever i wanted. so i told him to park the truck. I got out of the truck. walked all the way around the hill. put one bullet in the chamber. I knew i had to make something happen within the next 30 minutes because it was gonna get dark quick! so i walked the 4wheeler trail to the side of the hill. There it was. What i thought was a big doe. I still needed to get closer. I had faith in my gun but i didnt feel good about taking a shot with out something to lean against to fully steady my gun. So i looked at the closet stump which was 50 yards from me and 110 yards from the deer. Hunter mode kicked in, adranaline was pumping, heart was beating fast, i laid on my stomach with my gun in hand and crawled on my elbows. I army crawled all the way there through prickers and bushes. Somehow not alerting the deer. The wind was blowing right at me thankfully. my hands were all bloody from prickers sticking out of my hands. it was a mixture of blood and mud. i got to the stomp. sat with my legs around it and my chest up against it. I clicked the gun off safe. the gun was steady, i was steady, i managed to slow my heart beat down so i was steady, took that deep breath, and let it out. had it right on its shoulder. and he stepped forward so i was perfectly lined up with the pumper station. I let the bullet fly. It smacked hard. it ran about 10 yards and fell over. I was pumped. i got on the radio and told dad to bring me the knife. i flipped it over ready to gut it and My exact words were, "dad.... Its got balls......" i looked at its head and saw little horns about an inch and a half just long enough to poke up through the hair. Due to me not having anymore doe tags my dad signed his doe tag over to me. DEC states the horns must be over 3 inches to be considerd a buck. But hey, It had nuts so its a buck in my rules.  [img alt=:D]http://huntingny.com/forums/Smileys/akyhne/tongue.gif[/img]                  Regardless to the small horns, it had a huge body and i got the job done at the last hour of my last day to hunt. Turned out to be a pretty dang good day!

I'm a little confused. ::P

You shot this deer with no doe tags left. You thought this deer was a DOE at the shot. Only after seeing its nuts was it a buck.

I could be wrong here but aren't you suppose to sign doe tags over before the kill shot? I thought the days of party permits were through.

No? i had a buck tag and a doe tag. My doe tag was for out of county though and my buck tag i could not use because the horns must be over 3 inches to count. My dad was with me and told me to take it because he had a doe tag for the county we were in and right after i shot her he went to the truck to grab the pen and signed it over to me. So waht are u confused about??????? 

CAN YOU NOT READ? ??? I SAID MY FATHER WAS WITH ME THAT HAD A DOE TAG FOR THAT COUNTY AND HE SIGNED IT OVER TO ME.

Easy now pardner, I'll have to ask you the same question.......CAN YOU READ?

Here's a bit of information from the DEC website you might find helpfull. Let me know if you need a translater. :P

Yes, consignment allows others to possess and use your DMP and it is not necessarily a permanent transfer. If the DMP is not filled you may do so only after it is returned to you. Whoever actually has possession afield of the DMP may take an antlerless deer with it.

Okay so my storie is obviously going to turn into a arguement so ill stop while im ahead and end it with a have a nice day to all.  :P        I took the deer because my father had a doe tag ON HIM and he told me to shoot the deer and he would sign his tag over... Now im sorry if this may have upset the two of you, The deer was legally tagged. So i dont know why you guys are having a hemroid over this... Anyhow like i said, have a nice day to all and good luck in the ML season.