alott of grunting today

arrow nocker

This morning was beuitifull.Silent and calm.It was so cold that the trees were cracking.Could hear a pin drop at 1000 yards.LOL.

About 8 am i heard a grunt that was like about 1.5 seconds long about 200 yrds to my right..Then about 1 min later i heard it again.About 1 and a half seconds long.Wasn't a quick brrp like i heard before.It was a brrrrrrrp.I replied with the same length and tone grunt.I then heard one to my right about 100 yds in the thickit.That one was the same lenth.A long brrrrrrrp.We dwere comunicating for about 15 mins then nothing for about a half hr.Then i heard a grunting noise that was like a winded grunt.Weird,cause iv'e never head a grunt like this before.It was brrp,brrp,brrp,brrrp.Each like a second or two apart.Almost didn't even sound like a deer but like a dog coughing and burping at the same time.I could hear it go down the trail on my property and up the hill towards the house.When i went home i saw tracks that went that direction that were fresh.

Now my question is was it likely a buck on the trail of a hot doe.There wern't any other tracks though.

And was that long brrrrp the locating grunt.I always thought the locating grunt went brrp brrrrrrrp.

I know its hard to imagine what it sounded like from just typing but if you heard this you know what i mean.

no.pretty sure it wasn't another hunter.Where the first long series of grunts came from was along a pond.Only way to get there is by the powerlines and you can see if any one entered by the raod.And i checked for prints and saw none.So it was an animal.Pretty sure it was some deer grunting to each other.I just never heard it like that before.Never heard deer be that vocal.

The steady grunt while walking was on my property and no human tracks.The grunt didn't sound like you always hear on tv or you tube.It sounded like a whinded grunt.Softer than the typical tending grunt.Hard to exxplain really but cool nonetheless.

Guess they are way more vocal than i thought.

Typically the longer grunts are tending grunts, or as you say chasing doe's. But tending would be when he had one picked out and he was making sure it stayed where he wanted it, kinda like herding cattle. I have noticed that the shorter grunts are usually signs of a more aggressive buck, which could have been the case with your situation. He could have been issueing a challenge to your grunting witht he shorter ones. My dad found where two bucks were fighting in the snow over the weekend and could still smell the bucks buck never did see them, so they were clearly active and aggressive, like your buck. And they do indeed have a wide range of vocalizations. Consider your self lucky to have witnessed it.