Did Some Browsing Yesterday

DirtTime

Went to a few places and shot some bows. Had someone help me with my issues using a release. I have to tell ya, I shot 5 bows, using a release they supplied, at 10 and 20 yards I was dead on but either about 4 inches right or left depending on the bow. I think I am hooked! Shooting a bow I have never had in my hands before and being that accurate felt great!

But, I am himming and hawing right now. Oh, I know the bow I want! But....I also looked at a few used rifles and shotguns. So, I am torn between giong back to a firearm or sticking with archery.

I enjoy bow hutning becasue you really have to have your $*** on point! Super quiet and taking a deer in 25 yards takes a little more skill with a bow then dropping a deer at 200 yards with a cannon. Gun hunters step back! I am not saying gun hunting doesn't take skill!

On the gun side, the only legal buck I saw last year was 70 yds out, gave me a few nice angles to have taken a shot with a gun, but never came any closer.

Hence, I am not sure which direction I will go. If the money was there, I would have a nice 7mm.08 or 20 guage, and a new bow right now!! Alas, I have to make this descision, and fast.

Is your old bow still in good shape? Still shoot good? Still feel like an extension of your arm? If so use it for another season and get the 7mm/08!

I have an old Mathews MQ-32. That still to me, is all of the above. Oh sure, the new bows are certainly nice, and I've shot quite a few of them. Even almost bought one a time or two. But my old bow still gets the job done with complete pass throughs every time I do my part. Just change the string and cable when needed and keep on killing deer with it.

Got a new 7mm/08 for christmas, and this will be my first season hunting with it. Looking forward to that.

Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you will make the best one for you!

My old bow is dust. Too much to fix. Needs a new almost everything. Somewhere I posted a pic of it.

The bows that fit me the best were a PSE Stinger and a used Mathews ( I don't remember the model ). They felt good and were pretty smooth. I have to go back with my release and see if things work the same. Also, the PSE will  be a bare bow, I have sites and a rest I put on my old bow last season, so no need to buy the RTS deal. The Mathews was RTS as well, but being used it was $100 less leaving a bit of cash to upgrade my arrows.

The 7mm-08 was nice, but no scope and no sights, so a scope would be a must. I made an error on my OP. The shotgun I looked at was a used Ithica 37 FL in 12 ga, not 20. Sorry about that. I had one of these in the past, they kick like 2 mules and a horse. LOL That has scope mount already on it, and a smooth bore barrel, so I could use rifled slugs and still use shot for turkey and not have to buy a new barrel right away.

Another reason I am thinking gun is a lot of the land I hunted last year has been trashed, so I will be doing more NZ hunting. So a gun won't really shorten my seaon at this point.

Well, I went over my budget. But I am happy with my choices.

Picked up a used Howa Rancher in 7mm-08 and put a Bushnell Trophy XLT on it. The smaller rifle shoulders better for me

Also picked up a TriStar Raptor 12.

I know these are not top of the line, but after asking a lot of questions I think I will be happy with both. The shotgun cycles better with high brass rounds, and from what I read I can use a couple of choke brands. The rifle is based on Weatherby specs.

Sighting in and pattering tomorrow.

I will miss the bow this season, but it's fine. I am set for deer season and ready for some squirrel hunting this winter and gobblers in the spring.

I am love with my Howa! ( Shotgun discussed in another thread so no need to discuss that here )

I have had my share of .30-06, .270, one .308, and a .222. Before this morning, the only rifle I had shooting inside a quarter in less then 10 rounds was a Remington 7400 in .270.

This Howa took 6 shots. Three at a turkey target at appx 40yds, just to make sure the bore sighting was done right and I was on paper. 3 shots and I was dead on and two inches low. Paced off 130 yds, so more like 110 in reality. 3 more shots, and 1st shot was 3 inches high and a bit right. Adjustment. Next two shots were inside a nickel center and 1 inch high. I left it like that as I should still be in heart shot at 200 yds. Shooting Hornady American Whitetail 139gr Inter Lock.

I was really shocked.