SAFE Act Changes

When has hunting and gun ownership not been affected by politics?  Tell me that.

On the section of this site that solicits suggestions, I have previously suggested a delineation between Gun Laws, Hunting Laws, and "Politics". I still think that is a good idea.

Politics is too broad of a term to throw around as much as it is relating to hunting policy. In different contexts, it can refer to party; but it can also refer to political pressure by stakeholders - either through advocacy or lobbying. It can also mean other things.

So, by assigning everything a catch-all along with the different contexts which the term politics can be construed, it enables people to connect totally unrelated things. When items are conflated that way, nothing gets done.

I am not sure if I posted on here the report we compiled which clearly shows that political party majority in the Legislature  and/or assigned to a governor has no bearing on the success of pro-hunting or anti-hunting items. We also published a page titled 'Our Elected Officials in the Field". We found that far more democrats actually hunt, then republicans. Governor Andrew Cuomo, as a matter of fact, is a hunter. 

Other things are operating as well. Some critics of hunters and some outspoken hunters agree on one thing ; that as a rule, hunters do not like environmental regulation, do not like black people or other groups, and a number of other stereotypes.

Although that stereotype is not only true, but fairly common, it does NOT represent millions of hunters. Some hunters who embrace that stereotype are facing cognitive dissonance and to hold on to how they perceive the world or want to influence how they want the world to be. To reconcile their own dissonance or try to exert influence, they piggy-back all sorts of issues with hunting issues. The existing lack of delineation between topics is very facilitating for those who wish to do this, and obviously they do not want any change.  

• Like 3

Other things are operating as well. Some critics of hunters and some outspoken hunters agree on one thing ; that as a rule, hunters do not like environmental regulation, do not like black people or other groups, and a number of other stereotypes.

Although that stereotype is not only true, but fairly common, it does NOT represent millions of hunters. 

True and fairly common?  Someone here is suffering from cognitive dissonance alright, but not the folks who understand the connection between politics and quality of life, for hunters as well as everyone else.

Hunters who like to think of themselves as possessing a superior mindset to all of their hunting peers, especially the ones who constantly try to elevate their status in their own minds by stepping on everyone else, are suffering from a serious superiority complex that has no justifiable foundation.  It's a fairly common malady, but it doesn't represent millions of hunters.

Even if an overwhelming majority supports a lie, it's still a lie.

• Like 1