Should of Checked the Weather

I finally got some time to put some seed down.  Oats and Wheat litely disced in,  then put some annual rye and some ladino clover on the top, then drove it over with the lawn tractor.  Spot is on the north side of a big oak tree, so it is shady.  My leech field is downhill of this spot too.

Tuesday some rain is coming.  I cleaned up a corner of my food plot, the rockiest spot in the plot.  Finally built the patience to pick all those rocks out.  So, it's small enough I can garden hose it.

My inpaitent buddy wants his food plot done.  He's real itchy to put the same stuff down I did.  Hopefully I can talk him out of it until next week.

I'm over in the northern catskills.

• Like 1

Why NOT to plant rye perennial seed...it will crowd out and over grow all other plot seed...and It will readily reseed and not only in your plot but other places on your property...the only annual you may not have as big a problem with is an Italian rye...for it it does not do well in winter BUT it will reseed if not cut very often.Ryes are the energizer bunny of grasses...grain ryes will reseed as well but are easily killed off where other ryes are a bit tougher...

Did I do OK Split?...lol

Why NOT to plant rye perennial seed...it will crowd out and over grow all other plot seed...and It will readily reseed and not only in your plot but other places on your property...the only annual you may not have as big a problem with is an Italian rye...for it it does not do well in winter BUT it will reseed if not cut very often.Ryes are the energizer bunny of grasses...grain ryes will reseed as well but are easily killed off where other ryes are a bit tougher...

Did I do OK Split?...lol

Yes you did Grow.....I will add that it also provides minimal nutrition.

• Like 1

I bought Seedway Rye Cover Crop from Agway.  They sold it in what felt like a 50lb bag, but maybe it was a bushel bag.

The stuff is much thicker than grass seed.  Like the size of rice.  Looks like wheat, but has a tan / pale light green look to it instead. 

I bake my own bread at home is looks exactly like the rye grain I use in the flour mill.

I bought a few bags because I am putting most of it down on rough bare earth after logging.  However, this small corner of my existing food plot was level clean by a front loader bucket, added 2 bags of lime and a 1/2 bag of 12-12-12, then I spread the remaining 1/2 of the cereal grains.  I then spread the clover and the remaining rye and rolled it down.

It barely rained at the house this morning.  I am assuming the seed didn't get wet enough to wake up.  So, I am going to leave it dormant until I get a good rain, then I'll water it if it doesn't rain in a day or two.  The spot is roughly 20 yards wide and about 20 yards deep.  I spent 3 afternoons picking a ton of rock, good exercise for sure.

I am hoping the rye will be around a bit next year while the clover takes over.  I mow the area roughly every 3 weeks with a lawn tractor on the highest setting.

I wonder why you don't seed winter rye in big name food plot mixes?

It just seems to be a perfect seed to grow for the market they're after.  Easy germinating, doesn't need much if any fertilizer, can handle less than ideal pH, and roots go down deep.  

DeerAG does.  Dropetine Trophy Buffet.  you can get it with winter rye or winter wheat.

Oats

winter rye or winter wheat

winter peas

red clover