Venison processing

Critter4321

Can anybody tell me the ground rules needed to become a Venison processer in NYS as/per making sausage and other cuts on a for hire bases. Understanably I have been processing on a privet level for the last fifteen years and have been approched by others to go open to the public, I am however not a licensed butcher and would look soley to the processing IE sausage and other smoked products (all venison brought to me in a boned out state)

I'm not sure I would look to an internet forum with this question.  If you're serious about doing this, and want to do it right, make the investment and consult an attorney with experience in this area.  There are a lot of other considerations beside just regulatory compliance to take into account.     

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would look to an internet forum with this question.  If you're serious about doing this, and want to do it right, make the investment and consult an attorney with experience in this area.  There are a lot of other considerations beside just regulatory compliance to take into account.     

Yes you bring up a fine point and thank you for the reply

Can anybody tell me the ground rules needed to become a Venison processer in NYS as/per making sausage and other cuts on a for hire bases. Understanably I have been processing on a privet level for the last fifteen years and have been approched by others to go open to the public, I am however not a licensed butcher and would look soley to the processing IE sausage and other smoked products (all venison brought to me in a boned out state)

I think (if memory serves me correct) this is controlled by the dept. of Agriculture and you may find some info on their website......

• Like 1