The story of skip

Chef

This story takes place in southern westchester a non hunting area, and don't worry no one is hunting this deer.

It all started about 5 years ago when I was sitting on my mothers back porch for a late summer BBQ I looked out into the woods and saw a massive rack bouncing up and down, I looked a little closer a noticed that it was a huge 12 pointer. As the deer began to walk it became very clear that he was not using his front right leg at all. He held it tucked under his body and just kind of hobbled around on 3 legs. Fast forward a year and one of my good friends buys a house 3 houses down from my mother. He tells me a story about this 3 legged buck that has been hanging around his back yard. This imeadiatly jogs my memory to the previous year and my sighting of the deer. We talk about how shocked we are that this deer can survive like that. The following year he turns up again eating from some corn scattered around for my friends back yard chicken, this time he is a 10 point and his horns are a lot thinner a shadow of what they once were. Over the years he has turned up fall after fall antlers smaller then the year before, last year he was a frail 8 point very skinny his ribs popping out of his chest. So fast forward to last night I'm headed up the hill to visit my mother, as my head lights illuminate the lawn across the street I notice the rack a tiny basket 6 and then the distinctive walk just a little slower and more labored, it was skip, he looked so frail all his ribs exposed face pure white he just stood there and looked at me as I got out of my car, I looked back at him and nodded before walking into my mothers. I just wanted to write a tribute to this old warrior, a deer that I ounce dreamed about seeing in the woods, now on his last legs I doubt he will survive the winter, I may have to do a little suburban shed hunting this year, and keep the last set of antlers from this fantastic old buck

• Like 6