10/16- 10/18 Weekend report 8f

chas0218

10/16 PM--> Well got in stand late (4:15) on Friday pulled card from camera and checked to see what was on there. No monster bucks but decided to sit there anyway. Had a blonde coyote a bunch of doe, couple fox and some huge coons. I saw 4 deer on my walk in but none made it by my stand. On my way out I saw a flash run they the hay field looked like a doe but only a guess.

10/17 AM--> This morning I got in the woods later than I like but didn't spook anything coming in. Saw 2 doe 2 fawn and 1 huge spike the spikes had to of been 14" tall. Big spikes small body. I'm planning on sitting till the wind really starts to pick up then heading to another spot a little more sheltered from the wind. I'll keep you updated as the day goes by

• Like 1

post-659-0-11640400-1445094738_thumb.jpgWhere abouts in 8F are ya hunting chas? I am also a 8F'er. Yesterday am was my first hunt of the year as I have had no interest in shooting does only. I hunted yesterday am, afternoon and this morning so far and have yet to see a deer. Pulled my cards on my trail cams. Action is normal for this time of year. Lots of doe's all hours of the day. One real nice buck so far, night time activity.

I'm in the town of arcadia out by fairville. I might take a doe tonight if presented with an opportunity. I went spotting last night and saw several doe and fawn no antlers. This was my first weekend hunting up here as well. I didn't want to stink up the area we have seen some nice deer. And if presented with a shot I want to be able to take it. What area do you hunt, 8f is one of the bigger wmu's of the state lots of country out here.

Edited by chas0218

10/17 PM--> Well that sit wasn't a total loss managed to see 2 smaller bucks 2 doe with 2 fawn. It was a nice sit but I realized deer on my property don't walk around all day and move I the last 2 hours of shooting light.

10/18 AM--> decided to try a different stand set this morning. I managed to spook what sounded like a herd of deer, probably only 2 or 3 back up onto the hill. I swear the deer know I want to shoot a doe so they never walk by. My intent this weekend was to get a little meat for the freezer but have been unsuccessful. Normally any other year I'm swarmed by doe. It also doesn't help the farmer already took the soy bean off the property. I guess there is always next weekend.

So far this season it has been a vegetarian type hunt.

I saw 21 this morning in 8f they came through basically in line. Doe, small buck, small buck, 120" 8 oh perfect this big 12 is gonna come by at 15 yards like the rest. Nope he goes the other way at the fork in the trail. Worst part is I could've shot him at 25 yards but figured hey if 25 is easy 15s real easy.

• Like 1

10/18 AM continued--> Well I had my opportunity but let him go. I had a nice 8 or 10 point at 35 yards stopped I drew then just let him walk away. I saw a bigger buck on our trail cam, I might have shot myself in the foot but I'm happy to see the smaller guys still around. The guy that hunts on the neighboring property told my step dad he won't be out as much as last year(he only went out 5 times as it was last year). I can't wait until this weekend when I get another crack at the woods. I am really looking for a doe right now we will see if it happens.

I will continue to update this thread throughout hunting season so keep an eye on it guys I'll update with chasing and what not. No real fighting between bucks yet. I did see a couple younger 2.5 y.o. sparring a little and chasing doe. They are just young and ready to get it in no real sign of the rut yet.  I actually only saw 2 scrapes the entire weekend over a good chunk of property. About 1 square mile worth.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a couple weeks. I went out last weekend with nothing to show except a broken arrow. On Sunday 11/1/15 the deer are starting to chase a little more still no big guys yet but I know they are there. I did manage to get myself a doe last night 23 yards quartering away hit lung and liver. The deer expired about 20 yards from the shot even with my little 75gr. fixed blade BH. Looking to get back at it Thursday maybe the temps will drop a little more. This weekend doesn't seem like the best hunting weather but it will be THE weekend to be out.

20151102_191618_zpszidjfjnl.jpg

Edited by chas0218