Letchworth

DanielT

But how do you get back up, if you repel down?  Rock climb back up, or find a trail that goes back up to make it easier?

Yup. You could walk the river until you hit a trail or you can go straight up the way you can down. There are hills and then there are cliffs You have to walk the fine line when talking what is legal and what is not.

On a positive note one of the new hunters with us took a nice 7pt off the park tonight. Only 1 100ft rope was needed to pull that one out. They always seem to slide that extra few feet.

• Like 2

Any pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Nope..Got it out at about 9pm ,thru it up on a trailblazer and it headed towards Ogdensburg. Nothing huge but good 2nd buck for the hunter.

On a side note,Today i found thigh sized rubs and many have hearted scrapes opened up.  Would love to see the dude that is takin on that size tree's.  Much time will be spent in that area in the next 3 weeks!

• Like 1

Just got home from hunting Letchworth this weekend. Our group of 3 saw a few but only one legal buck in thickets. I was disapointed in the low number of doe spotted.I did experience a first Sun. evening sitting in a pine watching the bushy cover and out to my side comes 4 Black Bears. Not very old / big, but I thought it was pretty cool to see.

• Like 3

Sorry...cabins get no cell reception. ...there have been a few hanging at cabins...nice 2 1/2 year Olds.

We have seen a couple pigs...but no luck...had one chasing and grunting last night through the thicket in front of me...exciting!

A little too warm...uggh

• Like 1

Nice buck DanielT, congrats!!1  I had a nice buck chasing does come by yesterday at 1pm, then again at 2;30pm. First at 40 yards, then headed up toward my shooting lane at 15 but veered off behind bushes at 20 yards where I had no shot. Close but so so far from getting a shot at a nice buck in the park........again. I'll keep trying.

• Like 2

I have seen many 150" uphill in the park over the years...I realize there are bigger ones hiding below...but I really don't need bigger antlers for a good experience...that deer is 165lb...that's alot of meat.

Easy dragging downhill...no pulleys or ropes needed

• 3 weeks later...

Where's the pics guys?

Nobody shot a buck in the park?

Not yet for me. Saw prob the 2nd biggest buck in my life, in the wild, during the last week of bow. Just a brute of a 5 by 8 prob 140 maybe 150 area. He was just a huge 10 with 2 stickers and a 3-4 inch drop on his left. Deer of a lifetime for sure at 50 yards in the thickest crap possible. I believe that boy is still alive and well and now again spends his days at the bottom of the Hogsback.  Really sucks when bow ends for sure.

Besides that my buddy took a great 9 point pushing 120 opening day and his dad of failing years took a nice 5pt, His first in many years.

It was nice to have Cusehunter on this site join us down at the cabin this year and he got to enjoy one of the rope trips with us, lol  One of the easier ones and he was like....Wow, I broke a sweat on that trip. We could have taken 3 park legal bucks on that trip but nothing either of us wanted.  I would guess in 10 days i passed at least 8 legal bucks and had 3 shooters..In my book...at 20 to 50 yards and either does,young bucks or thick briers screwed me up. 

All in all it was another great trip and i saw piles of deer on the park and cant wait for our late season last couple days of shotgun/Muzzy week trip.  Come on SNOW!

• Like 3

Not yet for me. Saw prob the 2nd biggest buck in my life, in the wild, during the last week of bow. Just a brute of a 5 by 8 prob 140 maybe 150 area. He was just a huge 10 with 2 stickers and a 3-4 inch drop on his left. Deer of a lifetime for sure at 50 yards in the thickest crap possible. I believe that boy is still alive and well and now again spends his days at the bottom of the Hogsback. Really sucks when bow ends for sure.

Besides that my buddy took a great 9 point pushing 120 opening day and his dad of failing years took a nice 5pt, His first in many years.

It was nice to have Cusehunter on this site join us down at the cabin this year and he got to enjoy one of the rope trips with us, lol One of the easier ones and he was like....Wow, I broke a sweat on that trip. We could have taken 3 park legal bucks on that trip but nothing either of us wanted. I would guess in 10 days i passed at least 8 legal bucks and had 3 shooters..In my book...at 20 to 50 yards and either does,young bucks or thick briers screwed me up.

All in all it was another great trip and i saw piles of deer on the park and cant wait for our late season last couple days of shotgun/Muzzy week trip. Come on SNOW!

Congrats to your friends. ..its not an easy place to hunt....our crew passed on several legal bucks....and went home empty handed...waiting for the big boy