1st loss deer

the blur

Whatever could go wrong, went wrong.

Nice doe comes in, 20 yards, bam, hit her hard, she jumped so high, I knew she was hit hard. She can't run, she walks off. Not even all that fast. By all rights, she shouldn't have even walked off.

I go for the follow up shot, and the gun is jammed. Totally jammed. 2 rounds lodged in the chamber. I just got the gun back from Remington !!! And obviously it's no good. By the time I clear the chamber, the deer is now out of sight.

There is blood. Every 5 feet or so. I follow the blood out of the big woods, and into the thickest mountain laurel ever. So thick, I got through about 20 feet of it. Face is getting all scratched up. I'm at last light. I have to back out.

I talked to the park ranger, not much I can except go back in the morning. I have a call into deer search.

All I can think off it was a low hit, because of the close distance. I'm sighted for 100 yards, this deer was no more than 20 yards.

I'm obviously upset. The whole Remington thing sucks. I got my 1st deer with the rifle, so it's meaningful. Then the action broke, and Remington fixed it. But now that I lost a deer with it, there's not much I can do with the rifle. Maybe just make it a range gun.

I'll be out all day looking for this doe.

Whatever could go wrong, went wrong.

Nice doe comes in, 20 yards, bam, hit her hard, she jumped so high, I knew she was hit hard. She can't run, she walks off. Not even all that fast. By all rights, she shouldn't have even walked off.

I go for the follow up shot, and the gun is jammed. Totally jammed. 2 rounds lodged in the chamber. I just got the gun back from Remington !!! And obviously it's no good. By the time I clear the chamber, the deer is now out of sight.

There is blood. Every 5 feet or so. I follow the blood out of the big woods, and into the thickest mountain laurel ever. So thick, I got through about 20 feet of it. Face is getting all scratched up. I'm at last light. I have to back out.

I talked to the park ranger, not much I can except go back in the morning. I have a call into deer search.

All I can think off it was a low hit, because of the close distance. I'm sighted for 100 yards, this deer was no more than 20 yards.

I'm obviously upset. The whole Remington thing sucks. I got my 1st deer with the rifle, so it's meaningful. Then the action broke, and Remington fixed it. But now that I lost a deer with it, there's not much I can do with the rifle. Maybe just make it a range gun.

I'll be out all day looking for this doe.

Did you take the gun to the range after receiving it back from a repair?

Most scopes sit about 1.62" above the barrel, so at 20 yards, POI shouldn't be much more than 1.5" or so from crosshairs.

I do hope you find the deer, good luck and update us.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

We searched 4 hours this morning. Blood was still on the ground. Even after the rain. Good blood. We pushed the thickets 300 yards, until we were out of the park, and on to private property. (not posted).. Still good blood. Come across a house.... Land owner comes out, and tells us to leave. I wasn't even carrying a rifle. She just wanted us out. The orange hat scared her.

I walk back to my truck. Drive around to the road where the house is on. I see blood on the pavement in the middle of the road. 2 big blobs of blood, and lost the trail.

Deer search didn't have anyone in the area.

While I feel terrible, I did my best to find this deer. I didn't even hunt today. Didn't carry a firearm.

Thinking about it, it was a low hit in the brisket. No other explanation. Definitely a pass through shot. We found blood, hair & fat. I looked up to see if crows were feasting. Nothing....