Well I'm not alone.....

Fletch

Ha-ha-ha .... And already it starts. Every year when the deer take slips there is this immediate rush to assign a cause. Some of them really get reaching ridiculously far. Yes the weather has been warmer statistically than usual. I guess I have heard that on days when normal temperatures are 40, we are seeing 50 degrees. Seriously? Does 10 degrees shut down all deer movement? I doubt it. I think I would be looking more closely at hunter numbers and actual hours logged afield by what hunters we have left.

I think the jury is still out regarding how big a toll the ugly winter of last year took. That may have some impact on harvest numbers.

I'm thinking that here may be an accumulation of a whole bunch of factors involved. But maybe we should be waiting until the"calculated" harvest numbers are in before we try to figure out what went right or wrong....lol. I'm sure that the picture will change somewhat by the time the DEC get finished with statistically massaging the numbers.

Here's my take on the situation, opening day and gun week , I believe that the bucks were in lock down . Sitting on the pre estrous does  and limiting  movement . Also , the mast crop is unbelieveable , you can't walk under the oaks without slipping on the acorns. Like walking on marbles, so the deer don't travel to feed and warm weather,  feed and rest. Lack of hunters in the woods to move them around. just my 2 cents

I just think there is a lot of food in the woods still. Rut over and deer not really searching for food.

That and I think a few more did not make it through last winter than initially thought. As well as a lot of my does only had one fawn this year which I believe is a result of the hard winter.

Edited by Fletch