When Does Less Equal More?

Have you shot it with the new scope yet? What do you think?

Weather has tuned nasty. When it was warm, the wind was blowing, now it's going sub-zero. I shot a few rounds off the deck the other day to get it on the paper. It was about 4" high @ 25yds & 1" left although shooting off the door jamb I think I pulled the shot left. I adjusted the elevation & shot @ a football size rock on the bank from 60yds & hit it pretty much center.

I'm going to load up some 8X57 tomorrow so I'll be ready for the 1st decent day to go to the range.

I did find something interesting when I pulled the 3-9x42 Kales off. It was shooting a bit erratic last fall & I found a pinhead sized spot where the anodizing was worn off the bottom of the objective bell. I think it was contacting the front edge of the front base ever so slightly.

I sold the VX-2 3-9x40 that was on the Mauser last season (2014) to a kid that bought the 7mm-08 AXIS-II & put the Kales on the Mauser last winter. It shot its usual boring <1/2 cloverleafs immediately after the swap. When I went out to verify the zero this last fall it was occasionally throwing flyers out about 2".

I'm thinking that the scope contact was the culprit. I wish they hadn't used the wide duplex on the untralight. I used the duplex gap subtension as a range estimator. The gap on the 3-9x33 is 18" @ 100yds when @ 9x! The 3-9x40 was 6"

Edited by wildcat junkie

• 2 weeks later...