When Does Less Equal More?

I had my Luepold VX-II 3-9 XS 40 mounted on my Oberndorf Classic Mauser.

I was thinking that a smaller scope would "balance" better aesthetically. I was considering a 2-7 X 28, but with some input from a forum member I began shopping the net for a good price on a Leupod VX-2 3-9 X 33 compact.

The figured the low light performance of the 3-9 x 33 @ 7x would be as good or slightly better than the 2-7 x 28mm & the added optic quality of the VX-2 compared to the VX-II should make up for the slightly smalerl exit pupil @ 9 x through the 33mm objective lens compared to the 40mm objective lens of my old VX-II..

Well I'm not sure I like the look. it seems to make the barrel look longer.

The all up weight as pictured is 7# 12oz so there is a small improvement in weight

So opinions please. Which look more  'balanced"?

3-9 x 40

VZ500ObendorfMauser007-1.jpg

3-9 x 33

DSC04916_zpsyzabnant.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie

When does less equal more? My answer to that is less hunters on StateLand, Less members in my hunting lease, Less Dog Crap in the yard when I am cleaning it up.....Those are just off the top of my head.

I like the second picture better but it doesn't matter to me....what do you like? Which way do you want to use it for the hunting you do? I would take function over looks every day of the week

• Like 2

The smaller scope definitely looks sweeter and better balanced...I'm starting to chub up just looking at the picture.

Only pimps and Marines ( Seagoing bellhops)  use scopes with big objective lenses...<<grin>>.... it's a sign of inadequacy...

• Like 1

If you think the barrel looks long, you could send it to Stubby ( Whelen7600)  and he'll hacksaw the barrel off to 16 inches..

Or you could send the rifle to ME, and I will hug it and love it and cherish it and name it GEORGE...

• Like 2

Exit pupil is size of objective lens divided by the magnification.  Example, 40mm divided by 5 magnification gives you an exit pupil of 8mm.  A healthy human eye can only handle about 7 to 8 mm exit pupil (smaller if age takes it's toll).  Anything beyond that can't be seen by the human eye and therefore wasted.  If you find that most of your hunting will be at 4 magnification, then 33mm objective lens is enough.  Any larger is wasted money and weight/balance on your rifle.  If you find yourself using higher magnifications, then maybe a larger objective lens may be important.

Only pimps and Marines ( Seagoing bellhops)  use scopes with big objective lenses...<<grin>>.... it's a sign of inadequacy...

Reminds me a Gen George S Patton on pearl handled pistols.

"Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol."

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Exit pupil is size of objective lens divided by the magnification.  Example, 40mm divided by 5 magnification gives you an exit pupil of 8mm.  A healthy human eye can only handle about 7 to 8 mm exit pupil (smaller if age takes it's toll).  Anything beyond that can't be seen by the human eye and therefore wasted.  If you find that most of your hunting will be at 4 magnification, then 33mm objective lens is enough.  Any larger is wasted money and weight/balance on your rifle.  If you find yourself using higher magnifications, then maybe a larger objective lens may be important.

I have always read that 5mm is the maximum exit pupil that the human eye can benefit from. Hence most variable scopes have an objective lens size close to the 5 factor for the highest magnification. 3-9x40, 2-7x28, etc.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I like the second picture better but it doesn't matter to me....what do you like? Which way do you want to use it for the hunting you do? I would take function over looks every day of the week

Function will be a trade off, lighter weight vs possible slightly less low light performance although the improved optisc will probably cancel that out compared to the scope it replaces.

And I said that I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.

If you think the barrel looks long, you could send it to Stubby ( Whelen7600)  and he'll hacksaw the barrel off to 16 inches..

Or you could send the rifle to ME, and I will hug it and love it and cherish it and name it GEORGE...

I'm thinking about trading it in on a Remington M783 in .223.

The local Gunshop said that the trade in value for a sporterized M98 in 8x57 is about $150.

Haha Pygmy you beat me to it :) the 3-9x33's are one of my favorite scopes. My only complaint on them is that the eye relief changes a bit when the power is turned up. I agree that the barrel is way to long but it looks too long to me with both scopes. That is some beautiful iron either way! Here is what a 3-9x33 looks like on a bolt carbine ;)b34342aaf607e0700fd85c38096d2d76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When you keep telling women 3" is the same as 6". Referencing "bullet drop" of course.  :rolleyes:

Less is more using a scope in thicker areas. Fixed would be better. But, over all, it's up to you and what you prefer. What ever works best for you is the best route.

Haha Pygmy you beat me to it :) the 3-9x33's are one of my favorite scopes. My only complaint on them is that the eye relief changes a bit when the power is turned up. I agree that the barrel is way to long but it looks too long to me with both scopes. That is some beautiful iron either way! Here is what a 3-9x33 looks like on a bolt carbine ;)b34342aaf607e0700fd85c38096d2d76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey "stubby" your post on another thread were the inspiration for me to take the plunge.

Edited by wildcat junkie

grampy, on 04 Feb 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Who can judge better than the one using the gun? My opinion means nothing, but I like the looks of the 3-9 x 33. Beautiful gun, no matter what sits on top!

That is a beautiful rifle.....I drool every time Wildcat posts a picture of it...

I am hoping that he leaves it to me in his will, just in case he kicks the bucket before I do......<< dum, de dum >>.....

That is a beautiful rifle.....I drool every time Wildcat posts a picture of it...

I am hoping that he leaves it to me in his will, just in case he kicks the bucket before I do......<< dum, de dum >>.....

If I did that I would want to make sure you weren't "hunting" in the same vicinity as me!

Here, now spank yer monkey! Try to "time it" so your looking at the last picture when you>>>>>well, you know.

014.jpg

008.jpg

016.jpg

VZ500ObendorfMauser013.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie