Todays Cottontail Hunt on LOng Island

Well went out for a cottontail hunt today, was 7 degrees, when left the house and warmed up to about 20 in afternoon. There was about 16" of powder everywhere and somespots even more. So here is the breakdown and some pics, got video footage, but not the greatest, and kind of uneventfull, but you can get idea of my hunt.

The Good- Dogs hunted hard, no standing around, and we hunted in deer bedding areas, loaded with deer, and NO deer runs!!! One run lasted about 30 minutes with my Swiss hound and my youngest male, after shot the rabbit ,he retieved for me!!!

The Bad- Snow was overwhelming and the rabbits were actually running in snow tunnels under the weeds with snow on top, so where impossible to see.

The Ugly- Out of about 8 rabbits jumped, dogs only really ran 1 or 2 for a complete circle, the other runs were choppy at best and resulted in losses or rabbits going straight for a hole.

All in all better than working or staying home and wishing I went out. Should be going again on Monday, so will post again.

www.bellmorekennels.com

103_0346.jpg

103_0352.jpg

103_0340.jpg

103_0335.jpg

Here is video before got to my hunting aree:

Hunting spot 1

Hunting spot 2