Shooting Ophthalmologist

Jaeger

With so much discussion on this and other boards and forums about glasses, bi/tri focals, contacts and surgery, I was wondering if any of you know of any Ophthalmologists (sp?) here in NY who shoot or are sympathetic to shooter issues?

Several of the ones I've seen over the years don't understand our issues, seeing front and rear sights, long distance as opposed to the 20' eye charts in their offices, focusing scope recticles, etc.

It gets frustrating having a Dr. fit me for contacts that are 20-20 at the office chart but fall short when I get out hunting and can't focus well enough to tell a coyote from a cat at 50 yds!

I just wondered if any of you found that Dr. who actually understands the demands shooting makes on our eyes and the need for sharp resolution at ranges exceeding the charts on the walls of their offices.

Any help would be  appreciated, for this I'd be willing to travel.

Jaeger

• Like 1

Shouldn't everyday normal vision be more important than vision for purposes of hunting.  I also don't see how if one has 20/20 vision looking through a scope, binocular, etc wouldn't have better clarity than someone with lesser vision looking through the same optics.

With so much discussion on this and other boards and forums about glasses, bi/tri focals, contacts and surgery, I was wondering if any of you know of any Ophthalmologists (sp?) here in NY who shoot or are sympathetic to shooter issues?

Several of the ones I've seen over the years don't understand our issues, seeing front and rear sights, long distance as opposed to the 20' eye charts in their offices, focusing scope recticles, etc.

It gets frustrating having a Dr. fit me for contacts that are 20-20 at the office chart but fall short when I get out hunting and can't focus well enough to tell a coyote from a cat at 50 yds!

I just wondered if any of you found that Dr. who actually understands the demands shooting makes on our eyes and the need for sharp resolution at ranges exceeding the charts on the walls of their offices.

Any help would be appreciated, for this I'd be willing to travel.

Jaeger

I recently am going through the struggles you are, contacts at less than 20' in the office, "20/20, you're good to go!"

I took them out for a test run, and found that my vision didn't improve much out to 50 yards. I figured I was just asking too much of my aging eyes, but I did get the trial run contacts exchanged to another pair that's a tad bit thinner and more "breathable". If it won't improve my vision, at least it'll be more comfortable.

Next best thing you can do for yourself aside from finding that "one" doc, is to ask for trials trials trials.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Shouldn't everyday normal vision be more important than vision for purposes of hunting. I also don't see how if one has 20/20 vision looking through a scope, binocular, etc wouldn't have better clarity than someone with lesser vision looking through the same optics.

I'm not a doc, but I can see a bit difference with shooting my bow after I put on contacts. It is noticeably more difficult to focus to change focus from the pin to down-range target. I guess you can say the reaction time to focus from close to far is noticeably delayed after the contacts go on, for me.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

That being said, I got Lasiks done by Harvey Rosenblum and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.  Rosenblum isn't cheap but when it came to my eyes, I didn't want to settle for a lesser doctor.  He gave me 20/15 vision.  I have no idea what his views are in regards to shooting and hunting.

http://www.rosenblumeye.com/rec-physicians_rosenblum.htm

I am not sure if he is a hunter but Dr. Krzyzak did a great job for me, and I just got new glasses two weeks ago.  He started with the standard visit, checking my old glasses prescription and doing a new eye test.  When i started telling him about how it was hard to identify squirrels out past 100 yards he did a few more tests and fine tuned the focus.  

My new lenses are just amazing!  I can see things so crisp and clear not only at 250+ yards but switching to close distance even reading doesn't give me headaches anymore.  He did this without going to bifocals either. 

Overall I am super impressed with his quality exam and not rushing me out of the office.  He took the time to talk to me and get to the root of my eye problems.  Plus his office offers the digital eye-mapping which is helpful in tracking age related degeneration and diabetes related eye conditions.

http://www.krzyzakeyecare.com/

• Like 2

Prior to,lasiks I was 20/200 and wore glasses never had contacts . Never had an issue hunting , other than fogging and sometimes would shoot my bow without the glasses , no big deal if the deer was clear or not settle the pin ( which I could see ok) behind the shoulder and shoot.

I mean many guys shoot instinctively right , don't over think it, put that glowing pin behind where the shoulder is and shoot.