Hornady Ballistic Calculator

airedale

For those who are not aware Hornady has a free online ballistic calculator. It is a nice useful tool for the handloader as it will show pretty much how a load will perform ballistically at a multitude of ranges.

To give an idea on how it works below is a sheet I worked up using data from a load for my 220 Swift.

2016-04-12_204412_zpsqrlwxo80.png

You fill in the description which in this case was "22 cal"

Put in the ballistic coefficient for the bullet being loaded which was .229

Bullet weight 52 grs

Put in your sight in distance which in this particular case is 250 yds

Finally the feet per second you are getting at the muzzle, my 220 hits just over 3900 fpson my chronograph

Then hit calculate fro your data

2016-04-12_204443_zpsyenuvflc.png

From here you can make a little cheat sheet by clicking on cheet sheet.

2016-04-12_204504_zpswoaf8nf6.png

It can be printed out and saved, some folks will have them in the ammo box and others will tape them to the stocks of their rifle.

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Neato!

Similar to ballistics.com's site, they also have a recoil calculator that can compare two different loads or gun weights.

But I really like the trajectory summary at the end of your post, looks perfect for cutting and taping to the gun stock.  I usually tape mine on the left side just below the receiver.

I don't have any of the fancy reloading software like some of you... just shooting stuff.  I have a app on my phone that isn't free.  I think it was like $11 or something when I got it.  It's called BulletFlight.  multiple versions but I have the middle of the road one.  it's a step down from the real serious stuff but I can put it baro pressure, temp, wind speed and direction, elevation, and crap ton of other stuff.  you can setup a profile for each "shooting system".  I've got a wind meter for being really picky but wish I really had a chrono.  I've had to work backwards and adjust my muzzle velocity based on drop at distance.  you can split out a full range card for conditions or do a quick dope to shoot type of thing.   splits out MOA, inches, and clicks based on what you put it for your scope, like mine's really close to 1/8" @ 100 yds.

I'm an engineer.  this crap is my down fall at times.