Grip and arm/elbow position

Bowguy 1

Fall is coming n so is the season. Most guys I'm sure are getting ready and shooting their bows. This morning I was getting ready to do a class while another couple was already shooting. First thing I noticed was the woman's arm guard. I told another instructor she had a bad grip. We watched Her grab her bow n she Gi Joe gripped it with her knuckles paralleling the bow.

This causes the forearm to be very close or on the bow strings and is incorrect.

Your knuckles should be at a 45 degree angle to the handle. To get there easily bend your pinky n ring finger in like making a knuckle. For a right handed shooter place those fingers on the left of bow handle gripping with the pointer n middle finger. The ring n pinky finger being to the side accomplish two things, one is angling your grip, the next is keeping the heel of your hand off the grip. Less hand on the bow less torque. Remember don't "choke" your bow. Hold it don't kill it.

One last thing, your elbow for a righty needs to never to be pointing directly at the ground, roll your arm so the elbow is down n left. Be careful not to hyperextend your elbow or wrist that'll put em back in harms way. Hope that made sense n helps some beginning archers achieve better form. I believe I posted something similar before but we have new folks all the time

post-7210-0-80349100-1467596744_thumb.jp

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 4

good illustration and post. everyone's correct grip might look different because they're hands are slightly different but they all should be doing in a sense the same thing.  this method is proven to create a cradle with minimum movement.  you really not holding the bow at all.  just giving it something solid and consistent to push back against.  some close or open middle to pinky fingers.  I've noticed the most consistency leaving all fingers open but dangling limp.  instinctively you'll catch the bow if you don't have a wrist strap but most have one on their hunting bows.  just don't think about catching it and you'll be more than fine. 

Edited by dbHunterNY